Are there different types of Gyno in men? I have a hard lump behind the left nipple I want removed, but I don't have 'man boobs'

In my early 20s I developed a hard lump behind my left nipple, I believe it was from medication. I see gyno surgeries available but they appear to be quite pricey and I'm wondering if that is for a larger surgery of removing much more fatty tissue? I've always had puffy nippls, but I feel that that would be a reduction surgery; not gyno related (?)

Can you get away with minimal Gynecomastia surgery

There are different levels of surgery and they depend on the amount of glandular tissue, associated fibrous tissue that inter-digitizes outward and fatty tissue that needs shaping.  The great thing about the combination technique of excising the glandular tissue and using Vaser ultrasonic liposuction is that I am able to tighten the overlying skin which is very important in maximizing re-draping of the skin for the best look possible. Since I do not have a picture of your condition, I am unable to provide a more informed assessment. There are cases of body builders that have no fat or fibrous tissue and only a small glandular component directly below the nipple. In these cases I feel comfortable in direct excision and nothing else. Good luck in your process.

GYNECOMASTIA Las Vegas NV

A lump may be gland (gynecomastia0

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Are there different types of gynecomastia surgery?

The simple answer to your question is yes, there are different types and degrees of gynecomastia and thus different levels of surgical options and thus pricing, but pricing and options also vary from surgeon to surgeon.  You don't mention anything about your fitness level or whether you are overweight, and definitely when there is significant skin excess and potentially fatty tissue to be removed in addition to breast tissue, the surgery is usually done in the OR, potentially under general anesthetic and can become quite expensive.  However, if you a fit and muscular and have a small, well defined lump, the lump could potentially be removed under local anesthetic in the office, which I have done in my practice for a minor procedure charge, which can be quite cost-effective.  Your question can really only be answered by a physical exam by a plastic surgeon and then you may need to consult with several to find one who would be willing (if you are a candidate) to do the procedure in the office under local (if you and your surgeon feel you can tolerate this).  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

About the Types of Gynecomastia & Treatment Options

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person, is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.