I'm getting a tummy tuck how long before I'm able to walk straight. Would the oxygen chamber help with the healing?

Healing after a tummy tuck.

I have my patients stoop forward slightly to modestly for the first 10-14 days depending upon how tight the tension is on the lower abdominal incision.  I also ask them to avoid lying flat in bed for the same time period through the use of pillows to prop up their trunk.  Unless there is an unusual circumstance I would think that the expense of an O2 chamber would be a waste of expense.  Watch the video above for additional information.Enjoy your results.
Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Tummy Tuck and Standing Up Straight and Oxygen Therapy

Post-operative activity and recovery time are somewhat dependent on how extensive your surgery will be (how much excess skin is removed, how tight the muscle will be, etc.) as well as how comfortable you and your surgeon are with how things are healing.  Typical patients will be standing up straight anywhere between 3-7 days (on occasion it may be as long as 10 days if pain is more persistent),  As far as the oxygen therapy, hyperbaric oxygen works but usually requires multiple treatments and is quite time consuming.  Adding supplemental oxygen (breathing it through a mask) will likely add little benefit.  Best of luck with your surgery!

Jeffrey M. Pitcher, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

I'm getting a tummy tuck how long before I'm able to walk straight. Would the oxygen chamber help with the healing

As to the walking upright, depends on many variables, how much muscle tightening is done, how aggressive the skin removal was as well as pain tolerance. We have our patients attempt to try to stand straight as tolerated and most are able to do so in a couple of days. As to the oxygen chamber, if ti is a legitimate hyperbaric oxygen chamber, it will help. If it is just a 'capsule' where the pass oxygen into it, it will not help much. 

Julio Garcia, MD

Healing process after a Tummy Tuck

Hello, thanks for your inquiry. Although is not scientifically proven that the hyperbaric chamber helps after surgery, some patients find it reconfortant. It is better for you to eat well (protein and vitamins) and follow all the post-op care that your surgeon will provide. Some patients stand upright 3 days after their surgery and some they take a week or more. It depends in each patient. Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Post op tummy

it takes 1-3 weeks to stand up straight sometimes longer. hyperbaric will not help. relax you will be up soon enough

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Tummy tuck recovery

Thank you for your questions, both are good to ask your plastic surgeon. It is not proven that an oxygen chamber will assist with the healing and recovery after tummy tuck. Each patient heals at a different rate and there are many things to consider when evaluating how long a patient takes to recover. Some patients will be able to stand nearly upright a week after surgery while others take 2 or more weeks, it is really going to be dependent on the patient and the specifics of the surgery.I wish you the best of luck,

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

I'm getting a tummy tuck

The tummy tuck operation generally heals very nicely and other than using a good silicone scar treatment, you should not need anything else. The hyperbaric chamber may be a good treatment for somethings but totally unnecessary in your case. And most patients are standing straight by the end of the first week or soon thereafter.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Probably Not

Hyperbaric oxygen has never been proven to assist in healing prophylactically.  My recommendation would be to follow the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon.