Does this look like a small seroma? (Photos)

I'm 6 weeks post op tummy tuck and I've been feeling like I have a seroma because I notice a huge difference in the way my lower stomach looks right above my scar.. it looks puffy and feels really soft like there's fluid in it and it seems like it's getting bigger.. Also, my doc says it's just swollen but normally when I'm swollen, my compression garments brings the swelling down and it looks flat again but lately, not even my compression garments are helping that little bump go down..

Fullness at bottom of abdomen after a tummy tuck

I can see the area that you are concerned about - this may be improved with liposuction but it is customary to wait six months to be sure all the swelling is resolved.  I would discuss with your surgeon so he or she is aware of your concerns.

Does this look like a small seroma?

These are always hard questions to answer because the only way I can really give you an answer is to physically see you and that is not possible here. It certainly can be a seroma, it could just be as swelling has gone down you just have more skin there, it could be swelling. Not sure. You really just have to trust your surgeon and if they do not feel it is a seroma then you have to trust. You could get an ultrasound to check for fluid and that would rule that out.

Sincerely, 

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Fluid

A seroma is difficult to differentiate from swelling at times.  An ultrasound is the definitive test to determine the difference.  You mat discuss this with your surgeon if you like.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

Swelling after tummy tuck can be from so many different things. The process is very long in terms of getting your final result. Swelling takes months to resolve and the scar will improve over years. The tissue above the scar is the lowest point and gravity will tend to make that the most swollen area. Small defined pockets of fluid/seromas are usually seen in the first couple weeks. Later, new diffuse swelling is mostly due to softening and loosening of skin combined with fluid variations of you body related to activity and salt. As with any new area of defined swelling, if it is increasing in size, it's good to get in quickly to have your surgeon drain it. I prefer to send fluid to the lab for culture as infection can be a reason for increasing fluid in some cases.

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon