Can I get silicone implants if I have fat necrosis in my breasts? If so, what would be the safest placement for them?

2-21-16 a year ago I made the decision to have a fat transfer to my breasts. My doctor convinced me it was a safe/natural alternative to implants. I was extremely eager & trusting & didn't look into it too much. It was great for about the first 6 months but the fat gradually died as time went on. Now my breasts are basically back to their original size (my right one slightly larger than my left) and my gyno told me I have some small calcifications in my breasts called fat necrosis.

Silicone Implants and Fat Necrosis

Thank you for your question and I am sorry for your recent experiences.You can have implants placed after fat transfer.In my opinion, the ideal location is under the muscle.Rest assured that these are two unrelated issues.The fat necrosis will just have to be dealt with separately from your augmentation procedure. I hope this helps and I wish you the best.

Silicone Implants and fat necrosis

While in many cases, fat transfer can have successful long-term results, fat necrosis is a possible side effect.Luckily, you are still a candidate for breast augmentation with implants.You will probably need to treat the fat necrosis separately from the augmentation, but it should be limit the use of implants to improve your chest profile.

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Fat necrosis from fat grafting will not impact your ability to have an augmentation

and your surgeon should confirm this for you.  Fat grafting is still done with more frequency so what you had was not a 'bad idea' but it just didn't do what you desired.  See a board certified plastic surgeon and go for what you want.

Curtis Wong, MD

Fat necrosis and implants

There is no reason an implant could not be placed.  I would recommend that you have a complete breast exam and mammogram prior to considering surgery.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implants in cases with fat necrosis

Hello, it should still be feasible to have breast implants if your breasts have returned to a normal size and shape but there is a small deposit of fat necrosis.  I would suggest consulting an experienced local PS to discuss the options.

Breast implants and fat necrosis

In my opinion, there is no contraindication to doing a breast augmentation in a patient with overlying small areas of fat necrosis. I would recommend that you get a baseline mammogram prior to your procedure. Try to find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Implants after Fat Graft

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Yes, you should be perfectly able to proceed with Breast implants. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about your aesthetic goals. Be sure to seek a board certified plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Fat necrosis

Get the augmentation. Don't worry about the fat necrosis, it will not affect the implant(s), your result. If you have not had one, maybe get a mammogram before the surgery, just to have a baseline exam to evaluate any future exams.

Fat transfer to the breast does not affect your results after breast augmentation, in most cases. Go see a BCPS for a formal evaluation.

Best.

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Can I get silicone implants if I have fat necrosis in my breasts?

Yes you can proceed with your breast enlargement procedure, the small areas of fat necrosis in the breast tissue that are a result of the previous fat grafting will not, in any way, prohibit you from having a breast augmentation. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation with implants after fat grafting

Fat necrosis describes the phenomenon that grafted fat undergoes when it does not establish a blood supply in breast tissue that its placed (grafted) into - tissue without blood supply 'dies', ie. undergoes 'necrosis'. This can leave a bit of calcification or an oil cyst in its wake. Doing a submuscular breast augmentation is safe and reasonable for patients that desire more volume after breast fat grafting.