Saline implants 22 years ago and never had any problems until my grandson pressed against my breast. What went wrong?

last week my grandson leaned back in my lap, pressing against my right breast hurt sooo bad! It felt like a shooting pain on the side of my breast under my also happens if I flex my right arm to where my implant is pushed to that side.... could it be caused by cartliage seperating??

Visit a PS

Thank you for the question. It would be difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. It sounds like your implants shifted. Visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Implant shift?

It is possible that your implant has shifted. Impossible to say without seeing you in person. I would advise you to schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to be assessed in person. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Old implants

can shift or deflate but a deflation is obvious.  You should see a local board certified surgeon (preferably the one the put them in) for an evaluation and possible treatment.

Curtis Wong, MD

You need to be seen by a plastic surgeon

It is not possible to answer your question as presented by you. It seems that now you have a problem.  It will not go away. See your plastic surgeon or another one to get yourself checked. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Older implants

Unfortunately, implants are not supposed to last forever.  Twenty- two years is pretty good for implants.  Likely after that amount a time, your body has developed a capsule around the implants, and it is possible that the capsule is now painful.  It could also just be muscle pain from getting hit in the chest.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  All the best

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Breast Direct Trauma over 22 years of saline Breast Implant

Hello, thank you for sharing your concern.  It can be several causes of the pain, but  seems like rupture and/or stretch  on the tissues surrounding the implant  (capsula), and muscle. Sometimes and ultrasound will reveal the cause, my recommendation is to set an appointment with a Certified Plastic Surgeon, for an evaluation and follow up. Nevertheless after 22 years a revision might be considered.  Best wishes. 

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants and pain

The most common reason for pain is a rupture of the capsule surrounding the implant.   Would recommend seeing a plastic surgeon in your area for an evaluation.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain with breast implants

It can be very difficult to diagnose the cause of pain with breast implants - some of the causes can be torn capsule, stretch on the capsule, capsular contracture, deflated implants, and the list goes on.  It could also be be musculoskeletal pain.  I would suggest getting checked out by a plastic surgeon.

22 yea old saline implants

My guess is that you have a ruptured implant and will soon notice a decrease in size (volume). Saline implants rarely last 22 years without trauma.  Your best bet is an ultrasound or mammogram to see what is going on.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Shooting pains in breast...

It could be!   The only cartilage in that area is in your ribs.   Some people get Costocondritis, with or without breast implants, which is inflamation where your rib cartilage meets your rib bone.  
It may also be due to a tight capsule.  If your implant feels hard, unlike the softness of a natural breast, it is possible that you have a capsular contracture which can also cause pain.  
The best thing to do is to be examined by your plastic surgeon. Good Luck
Dr M