How can you reduce drainage from a seroma after liposuction?

I underwent an aggressive (as per my PS) inner and outer thigh liposuction 2 wks ago (I'm 5'11, 215lbs). I had 3L of fat removed & I was not under anesthesia for the process. I flew 6 days post op (5hr flight) & removed my stitches at day 7 post op. After the sutures were removed, I had very heavy drainage from the back of my thighs. The drainage has reduced slightly but what I can do to speed the process? I leak through my clothes daily. Any advice is appreciated as my dr. hasn't been helpful.

Persistent drainage after aggressive liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction drainage.

• It isn't clear what is going on.
  • It sounds as though you did not drain until after your flight.
  • If you had a seroma, one would expect it to be evident earlier
  • You first need an examination - by another plastic surgeon if not your own.
  • A seroma would need drainage -
  • But it sounds to me as though you may have an infection from the long plane flight.
  • So first a diagnosis of the problem - then the treatment!
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Post Liposuction Pain/ Swelling -- Start Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Exilis Ultra, Massage, Cellutone/Z Wave

I suggest lymphatic massage and RF treatments. we do this from the first week after the procedure.  Compression is essential.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Seroma after liposuction

First you  need a diagnosis. By your description you

may just be eliminating some of the fluid that accumulates

as swelling after the procedure and not a seroma. This 

should be improving daily. I suggest to contact your plastic 

surgeon share your concerns and follow his instructions. 

Fernando Colon, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon