Red bumps after NeoGraft hair transplant

I am just under 3 months post op neo graft hairtransplant where I had hair placed in the front of my scalp. However I'm getting some red bumps on my hend and some of the transplanted hairs are slowly coming in but inbetween them there just skin where I know grafts were placed??

Neograft postop

The red bumps are likely ingrown hairs from the grafts that were implanted and are now recycling new hair. You can apply a warm compress and gently nick the bumps which will release that new hair. This is actually a positive sign of new growth.

Overland Park Family Physician

Red Bumps

Red Bumps and some irritation can be caused by a few things. It could be something as simple as ingrown hairs. Or it could be a case of Folliculitus.

Please see your doctor that performed the surgery and have an evaluation of the area. It is nothing to worry about I am sure and the best way to get it taken care of is to follow up with your doctor so that he is aware of the issues and therefore can resolve it for you. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red Bumps with NeoGraft

This could represent folliculitis or inflammation of the hair follicle.   I would see your surgeon to evaluate further.  

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Red bumps 3 months after Neograft

It's difficult to say with certainty what the red bumps are.  There can be any number of reasons, all of which are nothing to worry about.  It is important to follow up with the surgeon that performed your procedure so they can better advise you on what is happening and what can be done to remedy it.  The areas with no growth yet can also be quite normal.  It can take up to one year for you to notice the new hair growing in.  At 3 months, you are still very early in the process. 
Give it some time and follow up with your surgeon.  Best of luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

NeoGraft Recovery

The red bumps may in fact be irritation from the procedure or the beginning of ingrown hair. At three months, you may be at the beginning of the regrowth phase. I would be interested to learn about your healing and recovery process at this point. Follow-up with your board certified facial plastic surgeon because the board certified credential ensures you receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. You can address your concerns and receive advice pertinent to your procedure in your meeting with the board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGraft Red Bumps

Although most people start to see new hair growth in about 3 months post NeoGraft; it usually takes about 9-12 months for all he transplant hair to exit from the scalp. It is always a good idea to follow up with your surgeon as they are aware of transplant sites.

Amir Moradi, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red Bumps after NeoGraft

Red bumps from Neograft can be common soon after the treatment and should dissipate quickly. At nearly three months these could represent ingrown hairs, but in any case you should have your surgeon examine it at this point

Red bumps after NeoGraft

Read bumps are not uncommon and frequently respond to a course of oral antibiotics. Furthermore, your surgeon can treat some of the larger red bumps in the office in a very easy procedure. Seeing a space between the hair transplantation grafts is quite common sense all transplanted hair is undergo shock loss. This naturally occurring process begins at two months postoperative and lasts until six months postoperative.  We term this telogen effluvium The shock loss happens at different times for different follicles ; therefore ,you will see small patches of skin where the transplanted hair follicle has fallen out.  We use platelet rich plasma injections at 6 weeks and 12 weeks postoperatively and find limited shock loss of the transplant follicles. Additionally,, the laser cap Is quite effective as well. Best wishes.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Red bumps after hair transplant with NeoGraft

This is a common occurrence and it should resolve as the transplanted hairs grow. However, the best advice would be to ask your hair transplant surgeon directly, just to make sure there is nothing else going on. If the redness is intense and the bumps are painful, sometimes a course of low dose antibiotics will help. Once again, the best thing to do is to ask your hair transplant surgeon.

Marco Barusco, MD
Daytona Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Red bumps on scalp 3 months after surgery… What to do?

I am sorry that you are having concerns about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

After 3 months the new hairs should have started the final stage of growth if they survived the transplantation. The redness could be a sign of ingrown hairs. Irritation could be another reason. However, a physical exam is granted to determine the possible cause.

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey