Questions about vaginal tightening. Any suggestions? (photos)

I was wondwring what could be done about the tightening . I am 20 just had a baby about 9 months ago , don't plan on having any other kids what are my options? I also have a iud not sure if that is a issue . I dislike the way it looks as well , like how you can see all the way inside of the vagina. Sex is terrible I can not feel it , there is no resistance anymore. Where I had torn it still hurts . Just would love to know what could be done , very embarrassed and makes me extremely depressed.

Doctor Answers 8

I had a baby nine months ago and I can't feel anything with sex.

You have vaginal laxity from giving birth.  The pain you have with sex may be related to dryness or poorly healed tissue.  The dryness is common particularly if you are breast feeding.  The laxity may require a tightening procedure. This would tighten the tube of your vagina and also the entrance.  You might want to look at thermiva as a non surgical option that works well.

I don't think you should rule out having another child since you are only 20 years old.  Certainly, every woman feels that way one time or other when with an infant to care for.  But we each experience changes in life and our attitudes and decisions change.  You have another 20 years of fertility! 

So don't do anything permanent regarding sterility.  And if you do have you anatomy corrected it is very reasonable to get a c section instead of having a vaginal delivery in the future.   Choose an obstetrician who will offer you this because some doctors don't give patients that option. 

Woodstock Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Procedures to Tighten the Vaginal Region

I perform a variety of treatments and surgeries in  Newport Beach , Orange County to enhance ,  restore and rejuvenate the female genital region.  This includes  procedures to improve moisture, and sensitivity and tighten the vaginal canal; enhance orgasm and restore or improve the appearance of the vulva including the labia minora, labia majora,  the clitoral region and the vestibule of the vagina.  The mons pubis can also be improved with techniques noted below. There are many names for these procedures which include: Designer Vagina, Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation, LVR, Monsplasty, Labiaplasty, Labia Rejuvenation, Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery, Aesthetic Vaginal Sugery, Perineoplasty, and Hymenoplasty. Vaginal Enhancement Surgery is basically cosmetic surgery of a woman’s “Private Parts” or genital region.  

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 110 reviews

Vaginal tightening

You are not alone. 30 million American women have symptoms like yours as a result childbirth. A vaginal rejuvenation procedure can correct your problems by tightening the vaginal muscles, decreasing the internal and external diameters  and build up the perineal body. Looking at your photos your labia minora will get a nice appearance with the vaginoplasty because the introits will be slit like and the ends of the minora and major will come back together in the midline. This will provide an aesthetically pleasing and youthful look of the vulvar structures. 

David Matlock, MD, MBA, FACOG
Los Angeles OB/GYN
4.9 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Open, loose vagina...any suggestions?

Hello KCarter,

Thanks for your post with photos. You have several issues that need an evaluation by an experienced reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon, one who could determine the best treatment options for you.
Your pain at the entrance is likely due to poor healing following the delivery and can be repaired either as an in-office revision or at the time of a more extensive vaginoplasty.

You're only 20 and may want more kids in the future, so it is best to postpone a vaginoplasty till you're finished having children. Your pelvic floor muscle function needs assessed to see if its the source of your loss of sensation. I've seen dozens of women who complain of looseness and have never had vaginal deliveries. Many of these women have pelvic floor dysfunction and benefit from physical therapy. A surgery such a s a vaginoplasty would not be beneficial. 

The open appearance concern can only be addressed surgically.

The IUD is great and does not contribute to looseness.

Please look at the link below for additional information on Cosmetic Gynecology and B&A photos to help you choose the right surgeon. We've seen many women from Las Vegas and offer a Travel Credit for those who fly in for surgery.

Best of luck, 

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Vaginoplasty is the gold standard for vaginal tightening

Your symptoms require an examination to check the status of your vaginal supports, but the ultimate solution to your concerns will involve vaginoplasty and possibly pelvic reconstructive surgery. Your IUD has nothing to do with this.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Vaginal Tightening

Thank you for your posting questions and congratulations on your new born. The fact that you are certain that childbearing is not in your future then I would absolutely consider a vaginal tightening procedure.
please be sure to find a surgeon with experience and I would also make sure that you are properly examined to rule out any other dysfunction such as bladder issues or other pelvic floor dysfunction before simply proceeding with a vaginally tightening procedure. A cosmetic gynecologist is probably best suited to help you

David Ghozland, MD
Santa Monica OB/GYN
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Vaginal rejuvenation

It sounds like a vaginal rejuvenation procedure may be the best option for you. This surgical procedure can be performed while you're awake with a local anesthetic. Kegel exercises and ThermiVa procedures are also potential options for you depending on the tone of your muscles. Only an exam will tell the best one for you after a discussion of the benefits and risks of each option. See the link below for more information. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN
4.9 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Vaginal tightening

Dear Ms KCarter:

First let me say that I have never met a patient who complained of vaginal laxity who did not have a condition called vaginal prolapse. Vaginal prolapse usually manifests as a bulge or relaxation of the floor or ceiling of ones vagina. So if upon examination you display prolapse and you feel there is less friction during intercourse then you are a candidate for the surgery.

Secondly - is you are 9 months out from delivery and still have pain where you tore this needs to be evaluated.  This is usually due to skin which has healed to aggressively which makes it tender when the penis puts pressure here.  So choose a surgeon who understands normal anatomy and reconstructive pelvic surgery.

The surgeon is the most important things about determining whether you will have good results post operatively. You need to choose your surgeon wisely and I would encourage you to choose surgeon based upon their experience, expertise and great results. I would also encourage you to choose a surgeon who give you sometype of guarantee ( i.e. if you are not tight enough in the first 12 months they will repeat the surgery at no surgical fee). Choose a surgeon who has documented success rates ( this means they have written a paper on surgical success on their patients in his/her hands). Any surgeon can tell you they have a good success rate -----ask them to show you a study on their patients. Though no surgeon can guarantee a 100% success rate ( i.e. that you are happy with the results ) The good surgeons should be able to show you rates of 85% or better ( i.e. that 85% of their patients are happy with the results of vaginal rejuvenation 1 year after surgery). Remember This is one of the most important investments of your life an you want to minimize the chance of doing it twice ( thought there is always that possibility in any surgeons hands). Don't let location be a determinant of where you choose to get surgery.

When you state you can push the walls apart this allows be to believe you actually have prominent prolapse but and examination would be necessary to make that determination. Choose your surgeon wisely!!!

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.