I'm planning on getting liposuction done this month, what would be better for me liposuction or Smart lipo?

I have thyroid disease and it is very difficult to lose weight and fat. I'm planning on getting liposuction done this month, what would be better for me liposuction or Smart lipo. As this is the only way for me to get rid of it.

What would be better for me liposuction or Smart lipo?

There is no consensus or study that indicates that one type of liposuction is more effective than another. The majority of plastic surgeons utilize tumescent liposuction for its ease, effectiveness and low complication rate. That said, different surgeons have different preferences and in their particular experience prefer one of the many different liposuction techniques over the others.

Smart Lipo Triplex

That is a great question.  You will find various answers on this thread.  I hardly ever perform traditional tumescent liposuction anymore.  The new smart lipo triplex offers many advantages.  The biggest being it has 3 lasers to treat different things.  The first one melts the fat, the second helps with bruising and the third and most important is the skin tightening laser that helps the skin retract back.   For details see the link below.  In any scenario, I would recommend you to see a board certified plastic surgeon for your liposuction. 

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Type of Liposuction

I use nearly every type of device for liposuction and it really depends on what your needs are.  If it is a larger amount of fat, then laser lipolysis such as smart lipo may not be adequate to remove all the fat.  

Stay away from smart lipo

At our practice there are 3 plastic surgeon, we all agreed on NOT getting the smartlipo machine because the fibrosis and scar tissue that it leaves behind is insane, creating irregularities and lumps.
Ultrasonic or even traditional liposuction are by far better options.

Carlos Castaneda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

What makes Smart Lipo so smart

Smart liposuction is simply liposuction with the adjuvant of a separate laser treatment, so the question is, "What does the laser treatment do or how important is it?"

Scientific studies sponsored by the companies that make the laser equipment show minimal improvement, in my opinion. I would venture to say that most practitioners spend less than 10 minutes during the laser treatment while spending several hours performing the liposuction. Saying that the laser melts fat or tightens skin is, in my opinion, borderline unethical. 

I do personally use a Smart Lipo laser in select cases but do not put great emphasis on its importance. 

Choosing the correct surgeon can make a world of difference. All you have to do is read some of the posts by unhappy patients who had poor outcomes from liposuction, and you will understand the importance of choosing a surgeon with true expertise. 

The only modality that is significantly different when it comes to liposuction is VASER. I personally use VASER on very select cases. VASER  has a proven higher complication rate and can easily leave serious deformities if not used carefully. 

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has good experience with liposuction and who shows consistently good before-and-after pictures. 

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

The artist is more important than the medium

I'd rather have a painting by Leonardo da Vinci than one by a "serious art student," regardless of whether it was painted with oil or tempera paint.  The same is true of liposuction - the skill of the surgeon is more important than the type of tool they choose to use.

Hi and thanks for your question. It is not the type of liposuction that is most important; it is the surgeon who is going to do your procedure. This decision alone will have the greatest impact upon your outcome. Make sure you see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Accept nothing less. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Liposuction and Techniques -- SmartLipo Versus VASER Versus Traditional Versus WAL Versus ThermiRF

It is not really the tool it is the technique used that gives the results of liposuction. You want to find someone who is an expert in the field and has a practice dedicated to body contouring/liposculpting. A formal assessment is needed to determine which techniques are best, often I am using 2-3 devices to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. Also, I am often transferring fat to other areas to get better shape and long term contouring. If someone requires hi definition/muscle defining I find that VASER is better for tightening.  I suggest a consult with a liposuction expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction is a technique; Smart Lipo, Laser Lipo, Ultrasound-assisted, power-assisted are all gimmicks based on the same fundametal liposuction technique--tumescent liposuction.

It's more important to find a qualified, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to do this procedure than it is to find someone who uses a gimmick.

Good luck

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Many studies have been done comparing conventional liposuction with smart lipo and have shown that there is no difference.  Save your money and have regular lipo!