How much would it cost for a second opinion? My breasts are uneven after breast aug 9 weeks ago.

I had a breast aug almost 9 weeks ago. My breasts are very uneven, and I'm very unhappy. My surgeon doesn't seem to care and doesn't think they're as uneven as I do. I don't want to have revision surgery. Are most plastic surgeons ok with giving second opinions? I don't want to be told I need revision just for someone to make an extra buck, and I don't want to pay a fortune for a consult. I'm uncomfortable posting my pictures online.

Can I get a second opinion for uneven breasts nine weeks after surgery?

It is definitely OK for you to have a second opinion. There usually is a fee for second opinions  which varies from office to office. That being said, 9 weeks is much too early  determine if you require a revision, too early because your implants have not had sufficient time to drop appropriately. The dropping part is not necessarily even for both sides.  However, since you did not provide pictures these are only generalizations.  Also, you did not provide information on the type of implants you have. Textured implants take longer to come down and may do so unevenly.
The real issue here is whether or not you had pre-existing breast asymmetry. A simple breast augmentation will not address pre-existing breast asymmetry and can often enhance it.   Depending on what type of asymmetry it is, it can  potentially  be treated with various forms of breast lift and or different sized implants, if appropriate.  Oftentimes the asymmetry is not significant enough to justify doing those things, but it needs to be understood that the asymmetry will always be there and can actually be enhanced due to breast implants.  Also, sometimes when these treatments are offered, the patient does not want them due to the additional scars. 
Your best bet is to wait it out for a couple of more months. If you are still unsatisfied, go back to your plastic surgeon. You would likely have an upcoming appointment around that time frame anyway.  If you are still unsatisfied  after this, that would be the time for you to seek a second opinion. Patience and best of luck! 

Drop & Fluff

Thank you for your question. The time that it takes for breast implants to "drop & Fluff" is roughly 2-6 months so I would recommend that you wait at least a few months more before evaluating your results. Asymmetries are common during healing and sometimes persist if related to a pre op asymmetry. Once you have healed and settled further, you could revisit the discussion with your Plastic Surgeon or book a consultation with another for a second opinion.

All the best

Asymmetric Breasts

I understand your dilemma.  I would hope that my fellow ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons would give an honest assessment of the situation, a prognosis, and a potential surgical plan, if necessary, to achieve a goal. 

At two months, you will continue to change, so I would wait a full 6 months from surgery. Frequently asymmetries improve or (occasionally) disappear completely.  What won't impact your result is massage, bands, or other contraptions. 

If after 6 months you have a problem and your surgeon doesn't see or want to address it, move on.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

9 weeks after Breast augmentation

Sorry for what you are going through.

Would discuss your concerns with your surgeon as surgeons generally would like to keep their patients fully satisfied and happy.  
Your surgeon will know your anatomy and the surgery performed.  

Assuming your surgeon is board certified and experienced she/he would give you appropriate advise and also be the best choice to "revise" it if need be.  Considering all your concerns my humble opinion is to stay with your surgeon and build a good rapport.

She/he could even arrange for a second opinion so you would be more comfortable.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

9 weeks post breast Augmentation and uneven

At this point I would honestly give it more time because your breasts may improve with time. In our office we are always happy to give a second opinion. An ethical surgeon would of course not tell you that you need revision unless you truly do. Remember those opinions are often driven my what the patient desires but truly wait longer before you do any more procedures. Second opinions happen all the time!

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Post-op Implant malposition

It can take up to six months to see your final result after breast augmentation.  However, there are some conservative things you can do to help implant position, such as bandeaus, or bandages to encourage an implant to drop.  I would schedule another appointment with your surgeon to discuss your situation as he or she knows best what was done at surgery and your pre-existing anatomy.

Breast augmentation

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy. You could always ask your PS to arrange a second opinion. Most PS will give you an honest second opinion but I would make sure you have your preop photos and a copy of the notes. I would tend to wait a few months before considering this opinion to make sure everything has settled.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Concerns after breast augmentation…

I'm sorry about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.   Although it is too early to evaluate the final outcome of the procedure, you will be able to seek a second opinion consultation if you choose.  Selecting this consultant carefully will ensure that you will receive good/ethical advice.
Keep in mind that unless something very unusual is happening, revisionary breast surgery will likely not be indicated at this point.

At this point, I would suggest that you continue to follow up with your own plastic surgeon and express questions/concerns. Best wishes.

2nd Opinions

It's perfectly fine to get a second opinion. Many surgeons offer free consults while some charge.

Nine weeks after surgery is still early, and you still do not have your final result. Minor asymmetries are common and usually even out after 6 months. Unless you have significant asymmetry, no plastic surgeon would be able to offer an opinion on whether you would benefit from a revision at this early point.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon