Do I need a nipple lift? (Photo)

I'm getting 400 cc round implants, surgeon said that if I wanted shaped implants I would need a nipple lift, if I get round I don't. Do I need a nipple lift? I am aware that my left breast is a tad bigger that implant will be 25 cc's more. I don't want to be scared for something I don't need.

Need a Nipple Lift?

Your most certainly do not need a nipple lift. Obviously the surgeon you saw either is not experienced with shaped implants or not comfortable using them, so they are giving you a false excuse for why they wouldn't use a shaped implant. You actually could get a nice result with either a round or shaped implant and the differences would be very subtle. A round implant will give you just a bit more roundness or augmented appearance in the upper pole while a shaped implant will give a more gradual or natural slope to your upper breast. It's really a matter of your preference. If you would really rather have a shaped implant then you should consult with another surgeon who has plenty of experience with this type of implant and is comfortable using them.

A nipple lift is not needed

and you should ask your surgeon WHY its is being recommended.  Great results can be achieved with either style implant.  But if you're wanting more level nipples, then a lift could be done.  But I don't appreciate any major differences on your photos and would not recommend it due to the additional costs, risks, and guaranteed scarring that you will get from that procedure.  Just put the implants in first and focus on achieving level upper poles then decide if any nipple work is needed.

Curtis Wong, MD

Need A Lift Plus Implants?

Thank you for the photos and question. The photos do not show the findings one would expect in a woman who needs a lift. However, a detailed exam is best to confirm this impression. Consider a second opinion from an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and good luck!

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Nipple lift

I think your nipples sit a bit on the low side but I don't think you really need a lift.  If you don't mind the little asymmetry I think you could just put implants in. 

David E. Kim, MD

'Nipple' lift and breast augmentation surgery #plasticsurgery

I don't see any real indication for a 'nipple' lift or other variant of breast lift at the time of breast augmentation surgery. You should have a nice result with round breast implants.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You should have a nice result without a lift.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Do I need a nipple lift

In my opinion I do not see a need to do a nipple lift with either implant. Having said that I think if you were to benefit form a nipple lift it would be required more with the round than the shaped implant as the shaped implant would have more prominence down low where the majority of the shaped implant volume would be.

Julio Garcia, MD

Do I need a nipple lift?

I don't see anything in the photos that would indicate the need for a nipple lift. You may be misunderstanding your surgeon. The research clearly shows a greater natural nipple lift with the shaped implants than with the round implants. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

To lift or not

There is no replacement for an in person exam but by the images you show I do not see that you would need a breast lift with your augmentation. I'm not sure why a shaped implant would necessitate a breast lift. Discuss you questions with your board- certified plastic surgeon for clarification.I wish you well.Dr. Edwards