Neck lift? Lower face lift? (photos)

Could any of this be done without general anesthesia?

Your best bet is a lower face and neck lift

Terminologies very from surgeon to surgeon, but your needs are best meant by addressing your lower face and neck together.I perform this kind of surgery routinely under sedation in the office operating room. You absolutely do not need general to have an excellent job of this operation performed. 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a neck lift and facelift?

Hi Mikin6393, from the pictures that you have provided, you would be a fantastic candidate for a lower facelift and necklift. This would result in repositioning your jowls and tightening the muscles in your neck and face in order to define the jawline and neck and give you a more youthful appearance. 

It is definitely possible to do this type of using local anesthetic with oral sedation. However, it is very important that you find a surgeon who is comfortable with this technique and clearly explains the process to you. I find that patients who have neck and back pain, anxiety issues, or restless leg syndrome are examples of patients who would not be good candidates for doing the procedure using local anesthetic.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift - No General Anesthesia Required

Thank you for your question, mikim6393. You can accomplish a neck lift with the laser-assisted weekend necklift. It has been dubbed weekend necklift by patients because the unique leverage of the laser during the surgery with minimal sedative provides patients with a short recovery of only a few days. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift or lower facelift without general anesthesia not such a great idea

Dear mikim6393,

In order for you to get the best possible result, a qualified surgeon will have to perform quite a few steps to give you that strong jawline that you are looking for.  This means that a lunchtime lift under local may not work for your concerns. I find that patients tolerate these procedures better under heavy sedation or general anesthetic and get best and safest results. If you have an anesthesiologist monitoring your airway in an accredited surgery center it is worth every penny and your safety is our greatest concern!

Dr. Joe

Joseph Shvidler, MD
Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift? Lower face lift?

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years.  From the attached photos, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess facial and neck fat along with excess facial skin evidenced by jowls and nasolabial folds.  These combine to create a rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.   I would combine facial and neck liposuction for further shaping and contouring.

Jowls are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.   The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured.  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

Hope this helps.

Neck and Jawline

Both your neck and jowl region would benefit from surgery. Some surgeons call this a necklift and others call it a lower facelift.

Your neck has no visible muscle banding so that a limited necklift without opening the neck may work well. This can be done under local anesthesia with oral sedation or with iv sedation. No general anesthesia is required. 

George Sanders, MD

Neck lift? Lower face lift?

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift.

• Your photos strongly suggest that you would get your best improvement with a lower face and neck lift.
  • Although surgery can be done with sedation alone, it is safer with general anesthesia -
  • And hurts less and you get a better result as well.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport, Surgery

you need face and neck lifting, liposuction, platysmaplasty, fat grafting and laser resurfacing to really give you a full transformation.  We call this "hi def physique" in my practice.  I suggest seeing an expert who can do the combination of treatments you need to get the ultimate results.  Dr. Emer.

Neck lift? Lower face lift?

Hello mikim6393,
Thanks for your question.
I think a lower face and neck lift would give you the best results.
It is very common for this procedure to be performed under local anesthesia and oral sedation alone.  It is a very safe procedure that 98% of my facelift patients choose.  I typically only use general anesthesia if I have other procedures to perform on the body or brow, or they have certain medical conditions that require continuous monitoring.
Dr. Lanfranchi is near you and he is a great surgeon.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift versus lower facelift

Thanks for your question, Mikim6393.  I agree with my colleagues that you would get a better result from a facelift than an isolated neck lift.  I think that given the aging changes of your lower face, with prominent marionette lines and jowls, that an isolated neck lift would look obvious.  For natural rejuvenation the jawline and lower face should be treated simultaneously.  These procedures can be performed safely under general anesthetic, or in select patients, with oral sedation and local anesthesia.  As for your concern about the anesthetic, I'm curious if this question is motivated by safety concerns or financial concerns.  If it is a safety question, your surgeon can review their current practices regarding general anesthesia, discussing the choice of staff, method of monitoring a patient, and pharmacology.  If a financial consideration, you should be aware that select patients can have these procedures done without general anesthesia in an office OR setting, but the decision is complex and depends on many factors including the magnitude of the surgery, patient health, and patient tolerance.  Best of luck as you consider your options.

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon