Having Mommy Makeover in less than 2 weeks!

I'm 47 y/o, 2 kids and nervous and excited about my upcoming surgery. What can I do or take to prepare my body for the healing process?

How to prepare for surgery

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon what he/she recommends as he/she knows you and your health surgery the best.  General instructions include no smoking 4 weeks prior and after surgery, maintain a healthy diet- a crash diet two weeks before surgery is the last thing you want to do as it will deplete your body's nutritional stores that you need to heal after surgery, stop any medications your surgeon has recommended, follow your surgeon's instructions for not eating prior to surgery, wear a button or zip up shirt to the surgery center and shoes you don't need to tie, have pillows available to help support you after surgery (some people will sleep in a recliner), have healthy food available, stay hydrated before and after surgery, have guaze available or I also recommend maxi pads instead of guaze, for drains a ribbon or shoelace is useful to create a "necklace" around your neck while you shower, get caught up on all chores prior to surgery, and anti-constipation medications may be useful after surgery.  Most importantly follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective pre-op and post-op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Healing and Recovery after a Mommy Makeover

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Pre-op instructions

I have attached a link of the Pre-op instructions I give all my patients. I hope it is helpful to you.
Good luck on your surgery!

Preparing for Surgery

• If you smoke, it is essential that you reduce or stop smoking before your procedure and for some time afterward. Be sure to discuss this openly with your doctor. • Make sure your surgeon is aware of any medications, supplements, and herbs you are currently taking. For instance, certain medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen can cause bleeding problems during and after the procedure • Eat a healthy diet and avoid drinking alcohol a few days prior to your procedure. • Exercise is generally good for your overall health; however, refrain from extremely vigorous exercise the day before your breast augmentation procedure. • Do not eat anything, for 6 hours prior to your surgery. • You may drink small amounts of water up to four hours before your operation. • The night before your procedure, shower and wash your surgical areas with antimicrobial soap. After your shower do not wear any makeup, moisturizers, oils, creams, or lotions — including deodorant. • The morning of your procedure you may brush your teeth, but do not swallow more than a sip of water. Take any prescribed medication, swallow it with a minimal amount of water. • Wear comfortable clothes to your operation, like a tracksuit and remember to bring your bra if you have been provided with one.• Make arrangements for someone to drive you to and from your procedure as well as a friend or relative to stay with you for the first 24 hours after your breast lift. • If you have small children, you may want to make arrangements for their care as well. Prepare extra food ahead of time and have plenty of fluids and snacks available. Minimize your responsibilities at work and at home so that you can have a few relaxing days to recover. •Make sure any prescription medications have been filled and are in a convenient location. Ask your surgeon when you can resume driving a car, go back to work and exercise. •The list of things you will need to bring with you on the day of your surgery is short. Generally, patients should have their identification and a small bag to carry medications and paperwork.

Upcoming surgery

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  There are several things you can do to prepare for your surgery.  Talk with your surgeon to see about any wound care items that may be needed at home such as gauze, tape, or antibiotic ointment.  Have some food on hand for you that is easy to prepare and digest, such as oatmeal, jello, crackers, etc.  Your appetite won't be normal for the first few days after surgery.  In the meantime, eat plenty of nutrient rich food, including proteins.  Have lots of extra pillows on hand to help with positioning.  Arrange for childcare if you have little ones, and have rides arranged for your follow up visits as you won't be able to drive right away.  Best of luck!

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy make-over...how to prepare?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Here are the standard recommendations -
  • No smoking anything, not just cigarettes
  • Exercise
  • Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • Having Tylenol, Advil, gauze, peroxide and Vaseline or Aquaphor for use if needed afterwards.
  • Someone to do all chores and child care for for a minimum of 2 weeks, ideally 3-4.
  • Knee high compression stockings and a walker for use afterwards to support circulation and get around.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Preparing for Mommy Makeover Recovery

Discuss all details with your surgeon however for my patients I explain the need for early ambulation, reduced pushing, pulling lifting with their arms and often recommend a course of OTC Fe supplementation if they have any degree of anemia.  Also I suggest that they arrange pillows or wedges to maintain flexion at the waist while in bed to protect the tummy tuck skin flap.Avoid blood thinners such as aspirin, advil, motrin, aleve, naprosyn, etc.....Be at a healthy and maintainable weight.Good luck and enjoy your results.

Jon A. Perlman, MD