Are your lips supposed to swell up a lot and hurt after lip injections? (Photo)

I got lip injections today and at first while still numb it didn't hurt nor we're they as big & swollen as they are now is this normal.

Lip Fillers

hi Princesshoney8

Thanks for posting and for your photo's. It always helps the RS community when we can see all sorts of concerns. 

Your pictures seem to be quite normal given that you have only just had them done. Swelling and some bruising will be seen for a few days, possibly longer. Give it some time and wait on the result. If you are then not happy, return to your clinician and talk to them about your concerns.

All the best

Lip Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
hi Princesshoney8

All the best

Swelling

It looks like your lips have had quite a bit of swelling.  This does not occur all the time, but it can, and hopefully this will resolve soon over time.  If it does not, then the filler can always be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

M. David Cole, MD, FAAD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Swelling

M. David Cole, MD, FAAD
Newport Beach Dermatologist

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

Lips swell after injections, some more than others. it can take up to 2 weeks to resolve. I suggest reversing the fillers if you are unhappy but wait at least 2 weeks.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling after lip injections

Swelling after lip injections is normal. The degree of swelling varies and some people have more swelling than others. The amount of swelling can also vary by the hyaluronic acid product used. If you are concerned with the degree of swelling I would revisit with the injector. You can use ice compresses every 20 minutes on and off for the next 2 days. Also elevate your head and minimize movement of your lips.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Swelling after lip injections

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Swelling after lip injection

The answer depends on what material you had injected, how much material was injected, and exactly where in the lip was injected. Head elevation and cold compresses the first 48 hours will help both the swelling and discomfort.

Swelling after lip injection

Swelling after lip injections

It's not uncommon for lips to swell after injections. Yours are swelling more than most. It doesn't look like there is anything to be concerned about but I would call you doc and discuss. A short course of steroids can decrease the swelling fairly quickly. Restylane Silk is the most common filler which causes this. See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Swelling after lip injections

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip Injections

Everyone recovers different and it really depends on what kind of product was used for your lip augmentation. Often times swelling can get a little worse before it gets better. Numbing medicine can help mask pain initially but as it wears off patients can feel pain that was there before but just "hidden." It is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. Keeping the head of the bed elevated can also help with swelling in the face. Best of luck with a speedy recovery, MMT

Lip Injections