Large scar on nose - Is this treatable? (photos)

3/4yrs ago I got a scab on my nose (possibly impetigo, but it was never checked). The healing scab was torn off during sports and has left a large, slightly protruding and very red scar that looks like a spot. What options do you think I have in order to hide/remove this?

Doctor Answers 5

Injection vs. Shave excision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi, first I would have it evaluated to ensure it is a scar vs. skin cancer or other type of growth.

If it is a scar, options would include a cortisone injection to flatten it or a surgery to excise the scar or just to shave it flat.  Thank you!

New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar on nose?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hey lanky6! Good Morning.  Thank you for your photos and questions and for being a part of RealSelf.  This would be very simple to correct.  I would excise the existing scar and just re-close.  This could be done under local and with no downtime.  

Shelby Brantley, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

IIT and Plato's Scar Serum for a nose scar that is hypertrophic

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You will likely benefit from selective IIT followed by application of Plato's Scar Serum twice daily. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Non healing scar on nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you have a scar, it can be treated in a variety of ways, but...please see a dermatologist to confirm it is a scar before treatment. The history you give would not usually form a scar like that on a nose.  There is a possibility that it is actually a growth that needs treatment, so an evaluation by a dermatologist is necessary with a possible biopsy if the area is suspicious. Better to be safe than to leave a concerning area untreated or mistreated. 

Absolutely Treatable

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lasers, surgery, microneedling/prp, and tattooing have all been used to improve scars. Silicone based scar gels with growth factors are beneficial too. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for an in person evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.