Large scar on nose - Is this treatable? (photos)

3/4yrs ago I got a scab on my nose (possibly impetigo, but it was never checked). The healing scab was torn off during sports and has left a large, slightly protruding and very red scar that looks like a spot. What options do you think I have in order to hide/remove this?

Injection vs. Shave excision

Hi, first I would have it evaluated to ensure it is a scar vs. skin cancer or other type of growth.

If it is a scar, options would include a cortisone injection to flatten it or a surgery to excise the scar or just to shave it flat.  Thank you!

Scar on nose?

Hey lanky6! Good Morning.  Thank you for your photos and questions and for being a part of RealSelf.  This would be very simple to correct.  I would excise the existing scar and just re-close.  This could be done under local and with no downtime.  

Shelby Brantley, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

IIT and Plato's Scar Serum for a nose scar that is hypertrophic

You will likely benefit from selective IIT followed by application of Plato's Scar Serum twice daily. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Non healing scar on nose

If you have a scar, it can be treated in a variety of ways, but...please see a dermatologist to confirm it is a scar before treatment. The history you give would not usually form a scar like that on a nose.  There is a possibility that it is actually a growth that needs treatment, so an evaluation by a dermatologist is necessary with a possible biopsy if the area is suspicious. Better to be safe than to leave a concerning area untreated or mistreated. 

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist

Absolutely Treatable

Lasers, surgery, microneedling/prp, and tattooing have all been used to improve scars. Silicone based scar gels with growth factors are beneficial too. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist for an in person evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer