Can intranasal splints come out on their own?

I just got a rhinoplasty/septoplasty two days ago, and today, felt something push against the "mustache" gauze under my nose. I've been paranoid because at night I start breathing through my nose without meaning to. Can intranasal splints come out on their own?

The shape of the nose is as important as the size of it. In different cultures and populations the nose has some special characteristics; therefore it is really important to know these facts and assess the patient based on these facts. Female and male face structures and lines are completely different from each other. This is one of the other facts that should be kept in mind both during the consultation and the surgery itself. Since the nose is the most prominent organ of the face; patients can have different desires and requests from the rhinoplasty operation. To understand the patient’s needs and desires is the most important step of the rhinoplasty operation.

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Intranasal splints

Intranasal splints are usually sutured in place. They can move within the nose. However, they are often quite secure and you should not worry about them falling out.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Splints

Thank you for the question and if the splints were sutured in then they shoulod not be able to come out on their own.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD