Do I need my inframammary fold to lowered ? (photos)

I've had one consultation thus far with another plastic surgeon and I was told he would lower my inframammary fold to accommodate the implant. I'm totally ok if it's necessary but I'd like a second opinion because I'm obviously concerned about the "double bubble." The distance between my nipple and chest wall is obviously very short.

Lowering of IMF

Thank you for your question and photo. Based on the photo it does appear that the lower portion of your breasts are constricted, which can also be called a tuberous breast. In order to "round out" your breasts, the fold would need to be lowered. Getting a second opinion with an in person consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon may be beneficial as it is difficult to give you an exact treatment plan just based on a photo. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Your don't really have a choice here if you want implants...

you will have to lower the fold and you certainly could develop a double bubble that usually stretches out as your implants settle.  If you don't want to even chance the double bubble, then your only option is to consider BRAVA with fat grafting, assuming you have excess fat around your body.

Curtis Wong, MD

Do I need my inframammary fold to lowered ?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo, it does appear that the lower pole of your breast is constricted with a small distance between your nipple and inframammary fold.  Your fold would likely require release and lowering to achieve a good aesthetic result with breast augmentation.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Lowering the inframammary fold

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the pictures, you do need you inframammary fold lowered. Discuss the use of an anatomically shaped implant with your surgeon, as these tend to do a better job of stretching out the lower pole of the breast and avoiding a "double bubble" than smooth round implants. Best of luck.

Tamir Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Lowering of the crease

From your photographs, it would be my opinion, that in order to put in a decent size implant, you would need to lower the infra-mammary crease. Because lowering it more than a centimeter and a half can be risky for the development of a double bubble, it may be prudent to also raise the nipple such that the center of the implant will be lined up with the nipple in a higher position. The higher the nipple goes, the less lowering you have to do to fit the same size implant. This would end up being a peri-areolar mastopexy with implants. Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Lowering the inframammary fold

The position of the inframammary fold (where the breast meets the chest) may need to change when having a breast augmentation.  From your photos, it appears that you have a mild tuberous breast deformity.  Tuberous breast is a very common condition that results in varying degrees of breast hypoplasia (missing breast tissue or volume), a constricted base to the breast, a high inframammary fold, large areolas, and in more severe cases, the breast tissue can actually herniate (or pop out) into the areola itself.  Many people don't realize that they have tuberous breasts until the consultation with their surgeon.  In your case, this would be very mild, but has resulted in the distance from your nipple to your inframammary fold being quite short.  This measurement is important for plastic surgeons when planning your breast augmentation, because we ultimately want your nipple to end up at, or just above, the midpoint of the implant for the best final look.  Many people will consider using an anatomic (shaped) implant for correction of mild tuberous breast deformity because it will help to stretch out the lower pole (or bottom of the breast).  I would certainly plan to lower your fold, and I would try and release the tissue that is constricted at the bottom of your breast to improve your result.  The "double bubble" is a concern, but should be able to be prevented in the hands of a good surgeon.  Good luck!

Do I need my inframammary fold to lowered?

Your breasts are somewhat constricted, meaning the distance from your nipples to the inframammary fold is relatively short. In cases like yours, lowering your inframammary fold is often required to accommodate your breast implants in addition to improving the overall shape of your breasts. Thank you for sharing your photo. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Lowering IMF

Often the inframammary fold needs to be "lowered" because the overall size of the breast is going to be increased and the ideal location for the nipple is at the point of maximal projection or the center of the implant. So often we have to reduce the fold to accommodate the implant. Best, MMT