What implant type would be best for me and size? (photo)

Hi I'm 24 107 pounds 5ft tall petite built with small round booty and buff legs. I plan to get 375 or 400 cc with the gummy bear implant. The problem is I'm not sure what shape to get, my doctor recommends round. He said my nipples drop to low and that the round implant will bring it up opposed to the tear drop pointing even more downward. What implant type do you believe is best? And does 375 or 400 cc seem too big for me? I'd appreciate any response.

Implant type and size

Thank you for your question and photos.  The decisions of size, shape, projection all depend on your goals and what the Board Certified Plastic Surgeon has to work with.  Your height/weight/body type as well as the size/shape/consistency of your breasts all play a role.  Each surgeon is different in his/her approach based on their training and experience.  It is best to bring in photos to help the surgeon have an idea as to what your goal is.  Please have reasonable expectations.  The Board Certified Plastic Surgeon should be able to see how close he/she can get to the goal given your particular situation.

Teardrop vs round implants

Thank you for your question.  If you are having difficulty deciding on your implant type and size, and you are unsure about your doctor's recommendations, it might be worthwhile getting a second opinion.  It is difficult making suggestions without a proper assessment of your breast dimensions, tissue thickness, skin tone, etc.

Gummy Bears are not Round

Hello,Unless you get shaped implants, you are not getting true gummy bear, or form stable devices.  As for outcome, you are actually an ideal candidate for shaped devices, given  your tight inframammary shape. The problem is your surgeon is part of the large majority of American surgeons that have no experience or interest in using shaped devices, and so will not recommend anything other than round. Go visit a few ABPS certified and ASAPS member surgeons expert in using shaped implants. Best of luck! 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What implant type would be best for me and size?

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size.  In terms of shape, a recent study that looked at surgeons and non-surgeons evaluating round versus shaped implants couldn't tell the difference between the two.  My preference would be round.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend you voice your concerns with your surgeon, they are in the best position to ensure that the implants the two of your decide upon are the right ones to meet your expectations.  With your current amount of breast tissue either implant type will leave you with a nice result.  Best wishes!

Implant choice and terminology

The choice of an implant should be based on measurements of your breasts, evaluation of your tissues and anatomy and of course what you are trying to achieve. It sounds as though you are on the right track with your board-certified plastic surgeon. The one point I would make is that the term term "gummy bear" is misused often and is confusing to the patient. This term was used to describe the highly cohesive silicone gel implant introduced by Allergan and is classically tear dropped in shape based on what is currently approved by the FDA. The typical smooth round implant is referred to as a cohesive implant which refers to the firmness and there is some variability between the 3 manufacturers. I wish you well with your surgeryDr. Edwards

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, you appear to have a nice starting place and should have a nice result with breast augmentation surgery.
The most important factor when sizing implants, is working closely with your surgeon in person to find the implant size that gives you the look that you desire. Careful measurements of your breast and chest wall will help determine which size implants will fit within your natural breast footprint. Taking into account your desired look, and your measurements, an implant is chosen that specifically fits your body.I agree with smooth round implants. At 5 feet tall, a 375-400cc implant is certainly on the larger side. You're going for a large look, then it's reasonable. A heavier implant will stretch your breasts more quickly and cause them to sag more rapidly.  Unfortunately, online recommendations are not that helpful. Make sure that you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, so that you two can work together to find the right size. In my office, patients try on implants in a bra and clothing. There able to see how they look in the mirror, and in photographs. Women are also encouraged to bring in wish pictures, so that I can get a sense of the look that they would like to achieve. Good luck with the process!

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant. Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Robert Singer, MD FACS La Jolla, California    

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photograph.  I agree with your plastic surgeon that a smooth round implant is a better option considering your nipple position especially on the right side.  Please be aware the right breast is smaller and the nipple is lower.  Your surgeon can partially address this during surgery but an asymmetry like this will not disappear completely with implants.You have nice breast shape and should be able to achieve an excellent result as long as you do not choose an implant that is too wide for your breast base width.