Implant size 500cc too much or can I achieve wish with smaller? (photos)

I am having trouble deciding size. Breast width is 13 cm. I am looking at 500cc vs 397cc silicone. I would like to be a D cup. Not interested in being much bigger than that. Also based on my before pics will I have a large gap between my breasts? I really don't like that look.

When deciding on implant size in augmentation

its best to see for yourself using sizers in an unlined bra... and using a 350 and 450 cc sizer to represent the implant sizes you mentioned.  You are getting a look and no surgeon can guarantee you a specific cup size with your selected volume.  So try the sizers and see what you like better... the 350 cc or 450 cc sizer in your bra and use a light colored shirt to cover this since it provide better depth perception.  

Your breasts are closer than you think... just not very full medially.  And you may have 'low positioned' breasts as your breasts appear to be 'low' on your chest as it appears you clavicle nipple distance is long.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Seek a consultation with 3-D Imaging technology

Hello and thank you for posting your question and photos.

Breast implant sizing is very important, although difficult to visualize for many patients. I would recommend that you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who employs 3D imaging visualization systems that allow you to have a visual prediction of your outcome at the appointment with different size and profile implants. 

Best wishes achieving your goals.

Rachel Streu, MD

Implant size 500cc too much or can I achieve wish with smaller?

Based solely on your pictures without information regarding your height and weight my estimate would be the best implant would be between 400 and 475 mL for you.  My preference is to use test implants during the surgical procedure aimed at matching your preoperative goals when I can see them in place before making the final selection.  Allow your surgeon to use his/her best judgment to get the best result for you .  I agree with your plan to avoid going excessively large.  Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

No one knows what a 'D cup' breast looks like, or what sized implant to use to give you one. It is in your best interest to forego the concept of using bra sizing to describe breast size. Instead, placing implants or sizers into an unpadded bra and standing in front of the mirror will give you and your surgeon a much better idea for implant selection.  Any results determined by this method should be tempered by any conflicting size determined by detailed measurements of your breast (tissue based or biodimensional planning).  Although you provide your breast width, it is not the only or most important measurement.  Please visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. Best of luck! 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant size 500cc too much or can I achieve wish with smaller

I think the 500 is a little larger than what you desire, I think 400-450 would be what I might suggest

Julio Garcia, MD

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast implant sizing considerations

You should have a nice result with breast augmentation - my recommendation is to choose the smaller of the two sizes that you are considering. Good luck.

Based on the photos, your breasts appear to be naturally close together, so you should have pretty cleavage after your augmentation. Regarding size, you don't want the implant to be too wide for your breast. No one can guarantee a cup size, but I think that 397 to 500cc's is the right volume range for you. Good luck!

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.