I had labiaplasty a few days ago, is this swelling and lumpiness normal?! (photos)

I had labiaplasty on June 6th and I'm super swollen and it scares me to look at myself down there. Am I supposed to look really lumpy and swollen down there?! How long will it look this way?!

Post op swelling and bruising

Thank you for sharing. You are experiencing a significant amount of bruising and swelling form the procedure.  You are still in the early of the recovery and this can happen with no long term sequelae.  I would keep your surgeon up to date on your progress and make sure to schedule regular follow ups.

See your surgeon

Hello Savanna,

It is difficult to tell at this early stage. I would see your surgeon. Techniques between surgeons vary. There is swelling early on in all cases but you seem a bit more swollen than I see in most of my clients anyway.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

I had a labiaplasty a few days ago, is this swelling and lumpiness normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs, and I am sorry that your current appearance has caused you concern.  Based on your degree of bruising and swelling I would anticipate it to take at least 4 weeks before your results will start to approximate your long-term results, but I would maintain close follow up with your surgeon to receive appropriate post-surgical guidance and reassurance.  Hang in there!

Swelling and lumpiness is normal

Dear SM:

Thank you for sharing but it is very difficult to tell you if all if going to be perfect in a few weeks.  You certainly do have a lot of swelling at this time and it is very obvious but more importantly the surgeons on this site do not know what you looked like prior to your surgery nor do they understand your motivation to have surgery nor your postoperative expectations. This is one of the most common inquires on the RealSelf website i.e. patients upset with the results of their labiaplasty.

If after 6 weeks you don't like the way you look I would highly encourage you to see a specialist in revision surgery and not just some surgeon who says they do labiaplasties.  Choosing a cosmetic vaginal surgeon or any surgeon should be one of the most important decisions of your life. Failure to choose a surgeon with experience, expertise and one who achieves excellent results is not an easy find especially a surgeon who has experience with botched labiaplasties. There are a lot of surgeons who think they are experts in the field but they don’t work on vaginas daily. Some surgeon have practices that allow them to operate and perform: breast augmentations, tummy tuck, butt lifts, hair transplant and then there are surgeons who dedicate their whole practice to vaginal reconstruction and cosmetic vaginal surgery. It is obvious which surgeon has more experience, expertise and better insight as to the a patients desires of their gynecologic area. Please don’t just choose a surgeon because they claims to be specialist in plastic surgery --- choose a surgeon who can prove to you they are specialists in your gynecologic area of concern.

Choose a surgeon who has great before and after pictures especially in the realm of botched labiaplasties.

John R Miklos MD
Urogyreoclogist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Swelling and lumpiness is normal

for the procedure you've had.  I will not yet judge your outcome as your swelling is certainly making your appearance 'funky' and as the swelling resolves, it will be easier to determine just what is good and what isn't so good.  Trims are not favored by most plastic surgeons due to what you are seeing... but they do have a place in the world of labiaplasty.  Make sure your surgeon is aware of your concerns as you heal and you should be able to critique your results once you are considered healed.  Hopefully it will be what you wanted but if it isn't, you should be able to voice your concerns and your surgeon should respect your opinion and provide you options from which you can choose.  And if you can't resolve this, second opinions will certainly help.  Best wishes...

Curtis Wong, MD

Post-op appearance: bumpy & swollen & scary-looking. IS IT NORMAL??

Didn't your surgeon counsel you about what you might look like in the weeks after surgery, plus SHOW YOU PICTURES showing the swelling you might encounter. Your questions should be asked of your surgeon (you know, the one you paid!!) Personally, I show all my patients photos of other women during their first week of recovery: black & blue, horribly bumpy & swollen-- SCARY! Not to scare them, but to make clear the changes and appearance the labia go through during post-op recovery. I am AMAZED at the fact that so many surgeons don't take the time or have the courtesy to properly prepare their patients- just "...cut & run!" The fact is, this is a work in progress. Looks awful the first 1-2 weeks, changing day-by-day, finally looking decent after 3-4 weeks, but it really takes a full 3-4 MONTHS before all the swelling & bumpiness goes away. You will look better faster is your surgeon used good plastic technique with small-caliber (5-0 or 6-0 monofilament, or 5-0 Vicryl Rapide) skin sutures, but unfortunately many surgeons (mostly Gyn's) use 3-0 or 4-0 Chromic or Vicryl sutures on the skin which cause more reaction and take FOREVER (4-6 weeks) to dissolve.

I don't see anything done wrong, and counsel you to not look at is every day (it'll drive you crazy!) and give it a few more weeks. But-- you really should be asking YOUR SURGEON these questions... The weblink below, and other areas on this educational website may be of help to you...

Best Wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Postop labiaplasty, is this swelling and lumpiness normal?

Thank you for your question and photos. You had a trim method labiaplasty with no clitoral hood reduction. With this technique you will get lumpiness and more swelling. I do not do this technique, I prefer the wedge resection which gives natural results. Your surgeon did not correct the excess clitoral hood and that is why you have this excess tissue hanging over your vaginal opening. Since you are early in your healing, give at least 3-6 months before a revision can be done by your surgeon or seek a second in person opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist properly trained in these procedures. Good luck with your healing.

No

This is not what things are supposed to look like. Did your doctor show you pictures of the healing process and say that this is what things should look like? I doubt it. I show my patients what their recovery process will be and there are no secrets. Some doctors say "don't look down there for 6 weeks" which is ridiculous. You had a trim method done and there is much more swelling with that approach. Be patient. If you need a revision find a doctor who knows better. Sorry to sound harsh... frustrated that this is the third lady like you this morning posting photos on here, undoubtedly done by the local GYN who has no experience and who has breached the trust of his/her patients offering a cash procedure that they have no understanding of or training in. :(

Lumpy and swollen?

Thanks for submitting your question. The trim method of labial reduction will be pretty swollen initially, you are still very close to your surgery and this type of swelling is very normal. However, let your surgeon know as pics are not a replacement for a thorogh examination.

Kurian Thott, MD
Fredericksburg OB/GYN