How many hair transplant grafts do I need and approximate costs. I am aware this can vary greatly. (photos)

As you can see in the pictures, I have outlined a more ideal hairline that I would like to achieve, if possible. I have a rounded forehead with a more masculine hairline that I would like to look more feminine. I very long healthy hair. Not very thick, but not extremely thin either. I'm a little more interested in FUT than FUE, but I am open to advice from a doctor. I understand that an in-person consultation will be better, but I thought I would start here to get an idea of what to expect.

Graft Number

From your photos it appears that you would like the hairline moved forward quite a bit and there is a decent amount of density that would need to be covered. You would need to schedule a consultation with a hair transplant surgeon to get a better idea but it appear that you would need at least 2,000+ grafts.  Generally for women and hairline lowering we prefer the FUT/Strip method.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant vs Hairline Advancement

From your photos, I believe you are a perfect candidate for hairline advancement (reverse browlift).  The benefits of this procedure include a quick recovery and the final results right away.  More importantly, the ability we have to make the hairline look very natural is better by not changing the existing hair and just advance it down.  The resultant scar is very good and over time the hair grows through the scar, so it completely disappears over time.  Rarely, if there are areas that didn't lower to exactly the hairline you want, you can do a very small transplant session (500 grafts or so) to fill in any gaps.  This is rarely necessary but can be done.  If you are interested, we can email you some before-and-after photos in women with hairlines very similar to yours.  The results are amazing! 

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

It may be best to see a doctor for an examination before considering surgery.

It may be best to see a doctor for an examination before considering surgery.  The cost will vary depending on the doctor and the number of grafts recommended.  You may need anywhere from 1500 to 2500 grafts depending your exam.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Female hairline

what you are seeking is definitely achievable, with a more feminine appearance. You would need in the range of 2500 grafts from the photographs, and yes, you are right, the best option is to see a hair restoration surgeon for a thorough consultation, planning and design of your hairline, and both surgical and nonsurgical options available to you

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

M-Pattern Hairline in Female

You are correct in pursuing hair transplant as a more natural hair line than a hair line advancement, but only if done properly by an experienced, artistic, full time hair transplant surgeon. Your design shows a good start and if your donor hair is acceptable you would be a good candidate. Many surgeons will offer remote consultations as a first step.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Internet consultation

You describe a female hairline with reasonable expectations, but no matter what a doctor says on the internet, you really need to see someone in order to have any hope of an accurate estimate.  You may also consider a scalp advancement, also known as a hairline lowering procedure.  The best in the world at this is actually Dr. Sheldon Kabaker (I do not have a financial relationship with him) and you would probably want to see him before doing anything at all.

You might like this link for good reading.  Good luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Female hairline lowering

The hairline you drew is a classic female hairline, concave and connecting the temple peaks on both sides. We do these hairlines often, even my wife and daughter-in-law had it done. FYI, I wrote the book on hairline evolution in females and males which I would be happy to give you a copy of when you visit 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline advancement with the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Lowering Procedure.

Hairline advancement with the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Lowering Procedure is far less expensive and in my opinion gives a better result than transplants. We developed this operation years ago for patients like you. The surgery gives immediate results unlike transplants and the hair density and texture is unchanged, You may need a few grafts in your recessions. Make sure you see the hairline results and there should be no visible scar.

Hairline improvement

I think that the best option in a case like yours is a hairline lowering followed by grafting. To have hairline lowering, your scalp must be lax enough to advance it forward. Grafts can then be used to further lower the hairline and fill in the areas that are not amenable to hairline lowering, such as the temple region. If this is an option for you, then I think you would likely need 2500-3000 grafts.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower reshaped hairline

You would need 3000-3500 grafts done in two sessions to get the hairline you desire with sufficient female density. You could be spending up to $16,000. You also mught be a candidate for a hairline lowering procedure combined with grafts in the temples  if you have a very flexible scalp. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon