I had a breast reduction done in year 2013. I would like a second breast reduction. Any suggestions?

I had a breast reduction done in year 2013. I would like a second breast reduction. I am 43 years old. Reason I would like a second breast reduction is because I don't think I went small enough my back still hurts from time to time my shoulder still hung up from time to time and I still find myself leaning forward quite often. Am I requesting a second breast reduction too early?

I would like a second breast reduction. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the question. Yes, repeat breast reduction is possible. Some general thoughts and helpful to you:

One of the concerns when repeating breast reduction surgery is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue; is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised. The part of the tissue that is left in place after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure) is cut then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious complications such as tissue necrosis etc.

It will be helpful for you to find the previous surgeon's operative report prior to the redo surgery, if you are working with a different surgeon. Make sure that you communicate your size goals carefully; in my practice, I encourage patients NOT to use cups sizes as references;  the use of visual aids such as photographs are much more helpful. I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  If you are still in pain and the issue was not resolved with your first procedure, you are well within your rights to consider a second procedure.  If you wish to discuss this with your original operating physician first, that would be the best thing you can do to start.  If you do not wish to return to that surgeon, schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be further evaluated, discuss your surgical options, and work together to create a surgical plan that will best help you achieve your overall desired goal.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD