Follow-up. How many hair grafts? (Photo)

HI everyone thanks for all the comments. However I only want to bring it down not even half an inch and add density to the lighter areas...I spoke with a local neograft surgeon in my home town, and it was recommended that I get 800-1000 grafts..I will ad more photos

Lowering the Hairline

Hi Jesse, as other doctors stated in your previous question regarding lowering your hairline, I would advise against this as it would not look natural.  I would recommend speaking with a few other hair restoration doctors (possibly outside of las vegas) for a recommendation.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant evaluation

Your hair line has receded and you are thinning in the mid scalp area. You look like a grade 2-3 on the Norwood scale of hair loss.  To rebuild your hairline and add density to the mid-scalp area, you need between 1500 to 2000 grafts, each graft would have between 1-3 hairs and will be placed in the recipient area according to its size. So for your frontal hairline you probably need at least 1200 one and two hair grafts to give a natural look and around 500 three hair grafts in the mid scalp area to give density. Of coarse you can choose to do less but it will not look dense or natural  and may require a second procedure later on. It is good to know that is not only the number of grafts that is important,but the total number of hair that you are getting from the procedure.  Each doctor has their own technique meaning they may use a lot of one hair grafts, so increasing the number of grafts needed for transplant.  In the hands of an experienced doctor that has the artistic skills, you can get both the natural look, the number of hair needed to get the result that is looks best for you.  Here is a link to see someone similar to your degree of hair loss with 2000 grafts.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

It's not about the numbers

I realize you are looking for a quote or reassurance but it isn't about numbers or photos.
All doctors have different opinions and costs.

If you have a good doctor, the number of grafts or method of how he does the surgery (FUT, FUE, ARTAS, NeoGraft) should NOT matter.   If you trust the doctor, go with it.  It's not about the numbers.  

What SHOULD matter is the end result and if it meets your expectations.  

For example, 2000 grafts (pick any number) may end up looking horrible if you had the wrong expectation and the doctor didn't do a good job.  (Neograft is just a tool.  It doesn't dictate results).  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How many grafts will I need

You look like you have fine hair and that means it usually takes more grafts to get the results you might want in one session. The patient in the web reference below shows 1700 grafts as they were placed, so your number will be comparable. If I am wrong and your hair is more coarse, then less grafts in the neighborhood of 1300-1500 should be enough.  Please note on the patient photos below, the shape of the hairline which is the shape that you will probably want along with some lowering of the hairline along the lines you mentioned.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

800...

...seems on the low side in my opinion because I prefer blending quite a bit to combat future thinning.  It seems especially low if you plan to lower hairline (which I would not recommend).  I prefer NeoGraft as well.   Good option.  Best of luck!

Tim Neavin, MD

Neograft

I agree that 800-1000 grafts would be a good number for you with those goals.  Neograft is a great option, and you can do more grafts at a later time if you're happy with your outcome.  Good luck!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Many Grafts

This would be a medium session in my office.  With a medium session, you get between 1100 and 1300 grafts.  That would be enough to fill in and bring down the frontal hairline and blend or feather into the existing hair.  I hope that helps.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

How many grafts do I need?

The area of thinning on each side is around 25 square cm. 

With a density of 25 follicular units per square cm on top of what you have, it should look pretty nice.

25 x 25 x 2 sides = 1250 grafts

How Many Grafts?

The question of how many grafts you need has to do with the quality (thickness, color and curviness of donor hair).   Of course the areas in front that you show has some degrees of thinning that needs to be addressed.  I think the number that was given to you cannot give you a solid hairline while restoring the density of the frontal thinning area. 

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Number of grafts needed - Hair Transplant

I think around 1500-2000 grafts will help you to get satisfactory density.

Please keep in mind that hair loss is continuous & on going process so your existing hair in this area may be less and more less in coming years.

M. Khawar Nazir, MBBS, MS(Derm)
Pakistan Dermatologist