Gums have receded. Do I need bone grafting for gum disease?

Bone Graft for Gum Disease

You can experience gum recession without an infection, especially if it is related to anatomic considerations. However, because gum recession can be associated with the type of bone loss that happens with periodontal disease, you should first have a periodontal evaluation including x-rays to determine whether or not you need bone grafting. Furthermore, LANAP can actually treat periodontal disease without the need for bone grafting, so you may want to consider this treatment option if in fact you do have periodontal disease.

Bone Grafting for Gum Disease

Hi, and thank you for your question. There are a multitude of reasons why you could be experiencing gum recession. Depending on the diagnosis, a treatment recommendation can be made. I would advise that you visit a periodontist so they can examine your particular situation and come up with a way to regenerate your gums or bone. Best of luck to you!

Bone grafting for gum disease

Yes. bone graft involves using fragments of your own bone, synthetic bone, or donated bone to replace bone destroyed by gum disease. The grafts serve as a platform for the regrowth of bone, which restores stability to teeth. New technology, called tissue engineering, encourages your own body to regenerate bone and tissue at an accelerated rate.

Yocasta Caba, DDS
Dominican Republic Dentist