Why do I have a gap? (Photo)

I just got a neo graft done. However I noticed two small gaps in between but when I took a magnified photos, it looked like the hairs we're there but implanted deeper than the rest.

Poor results following a NeoGraft hair restoration procedure?

Dear Jesse3311,

NeoGraft is a company that makes a device that a surgeon uses to perform a type of hair restoration surgery called follicular unit extraction, or FUE.  The device itself is absolutely zero guarantee that you will have excellent results, anymore than a particular brand of paintbrush will guarantee a beautiful painting.  The device is simply a tool.  What is critically important is how experienced and talented is the person using it; exactly like a paintbrush.

From the pictures you posted, it does appear as though the density is a bit low.  A subsequent procedure can fill in some gaps, but you'll need to wait for the hair to grow in, which will take roughly 8-12 months.  There is very little oversight in the field of hair restoration surgery.  For instance, a psychiatrist may have a sign printed up at Kinko's today saying "hair restoration surgery" and hang it on his door, hire some techs, rent a NeoGraft device, and start to offer surgical hair restorations tomorrow, without having ever touched a surgical instrument.  So, the results from using the NeoGraft device, like any device, will depend mainly on the talent, dedication, and experience of the surgeon performing the procedure.  Be sure that a technician is not performing the surgery, as hair restoration technicians in the USA need to acquire the same exact medical qualifications to perform their jobs as grass cutters.  As in, none whatsoever.  So, sit tight until 8-12 months have passed, and re-evaluate at that time.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Gap

It looks like there is a lot of spacing between the grafts which is typical of the larger punch and larger grafts obtained using the neograft.  It also looks like they placed 2 follicular unit grafts into your hairline which is not generally a great technique.  You will most likely need another procedure in the future to add density into your hairline as the graft spacing seems far too much and at that time they can correct the missing gaps in the hairline.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft Results

It seems that the follicals were not properly implanted into the transplant site. I suggest you follow-up with your surgeon to learn their approach to remedying this error. Keep in mind that the board certified credential ensures you receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. Best wishes!

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Missing spots

Maybe they forgot?  Maybe the hairs fell out.  No real way to be sure.  The only way is to ask the doctor who did the surgery.  Anything is possible.  Follow up.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pictures

It may just be the pictures but this looks a little strange.  I would give it time to grow and see what happens and keep close follow up with the doctor that did the procedure.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist