Is what this Doctor did negligence ? (photos)

I was told by the Doc that he was a BSPS and he performed a 4 hour breast augmentation while I was awake. He completely messed up bad and it's been 3 months and still have horrible pain and the incisions aren't healed but it turns out he isn't certified to do plastic surgery. I seen a real board certified plastic surgeon and it's going to cost close to $13,000 to fix the damage

in telling you he was board certified, or at least unethical.  Poor outcome and without knowing what was done, what you started with, the techniques used, and what problems were encountered, really cannot say if negligence was involved.  But surgeons depend on good results and you can certainly vent your frustrations on line if your surgeon isn't willing to fix this at minimal or no cost to you... but once you see an attorney, you are having to look for another surgeon to care for you.  You can find better prices if you shop around too as $13,000 seems high for a reaugmentation and lift procedure.  Best wishes at finding peace here... life is too short.

Is what this Doctor did negligence ?

I'm really sorry you have had such a bad experience. This is why we constantly advise patients to do their homework when selecting a surgeon and never go for the low bid on their surgery. Malpractice and negligence are legal terms. To find out if that is the case you will need to consult with an attorney. And you certainly need to file a complaint with the state medical board if the doctor told you he was certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. However, I suspect that was not the case. You were probably told he was certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery or some such nonsense. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast surgery

I can't tell specifically whether your case is negligence without knowing specific details.  You might want to try to get a refund for the surgery and move on from there.  That is the best approach in my opinion.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Bad Breast Augmenation

Hi Burkes,

Thanks for your question and photos. We know that finding a good and qualified surgeon can be difficult and some are more truthful than others. I recommend seeing several other surgeons to get an honest opinion on what its best.

Implants that are placed under the muscle tend to live in a higher position than those over the muscle. Sometimes depending on the level that your doctor cut the muscle will determine where it lives under your breast It seems that your doctor did not know what they were doing as the surgery usually just takes about an hour. Four hours is a long time.

Without a physical exam, it would be difficult to assess exactly what you would need done but usually in order to 

On photos alone, you need a lift and implant removal and if there is an infection then likely you will need the implants removed and not replaced for a period of at least several months

I recommend being seen by several surgeons. Good Luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

p.s. the issue on negligence is legal and should be discussed with a lawyer.

Breast augmentation

I am sorry you have had such a hard time. You may have gotten in trouble with the cosmetic surgery board thing, which is a huge issue. In general, you want to look for actual plastic surgeons. Pull up the doctor's website and look at the training they have received. Does it say they completed a plastic surgery program or are they talking about cosmetic surgery only? Plastic surgery is a rigorous program with oversight from the American Board of Medical Specialties. Cosmetic surgery is a fake board without significant oversight. You will find board certified plastic surgeons on the ASPS website at You may be able to find help at a plastic surgery residency program. They may be cheaper and they are overseen by teachers of plastic surgery. University of Nevada has a program.

Truth in advertising is really tricky. The laws vary by state. Nevada I don't think requires anything specific on board certification, which is unfortunate. You are asking a legal question about the negligence. I can't answer that based on pictures on the internet. You would need to actually talk to an attorney about it. 

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Board certified plastic surgeons and breast augmentation

The outcome from breast augmentation surgery is difficult to control or predict even for board certified plastic surgeons. Implant size over 350 cc's has been shown to be a risk factor for problems leading to re-operation in and of itself. In breast augmentation surgery an estimated one in five patients will undergo an additional procedure in the first 10 years after surgery to address various issues with their implants, in spite of proper care. Implants are tough but should be safe and should also be a procedure that patients choose with good education and information. Among the many purposes for board certification is to have surgeons learn about all known complications and risks in order to protect and educate their patients. In the marketed world of "cosmetic surgery" nearly half of all people who might sound like they are board certified plastic surgeons are not. They are appealing as they typically are lower cost and perform more heavy handed marketing. What they are doing is not illegal, but cases like yours make those of us who have dedicated ourselves to patient safety and state of the art practice very sad. We have been unable to prevent the proliferation of low quality and possibly dangerous cosmetic surgery. I congratulate you for sharing your story and hope your experience can help other people stay safe. The ABMS website is a place to start if you want to check your physician.

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

"awake" plastic surgery

You are very brave to share your experience online.  I wish you all the best finding the right Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to fix your result. 

John Burns, MD

Revision breast augmentation

I am sorry that you have had this experience.  As far as your options now - I would suggest you get several consults from board certified plastic surgeons before you undertake another surgery.  One of the most important things is that you voice your desires and that the plastic surgeon you choose can show you pictures of revision case he or she has done that have achieved your desired outcome.  Too often, patients make the same mistake over and over on revision surgery - "trusting" the doctor to give them the result they want without even seeing a similar patient that he or she has operated on who has achieved the look you desire.  Given the situation you are in now, it is unlikely you will get your desired outcome if you don't go through the process of finding a surgeon experienced enough in revisions to get you close to your desired look.

Thank you for the question and the photos and sorry for your experience but the question you are asking is more for a lawyer then the surgeons on this site

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast augmentation - surgeon mis-represented his qualifications.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I am very sorry you have had such a poor experience.
  • There is no excuse for what happened to you.
  • Unfortunately, if your surgeon told you - but didn't say in writing - that he was a BCPS - chances are he will deny it.
  • In this unfortunate circumstance, you need to decide if you want to lodge a complaint with the licensing Board or take other action - but first and most important, focus on getting yourself to where you want to be with your truly BCPS.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS