Dark spots on arms and legs, will co2 remove them or would the ipl laser be better? 62 yr old very fair skinned woman Thank you.

It is important to know what type of dark spots are being treated before choosing the correct treatment.

Epidermal, brown or tan spots that are epidermal, will respond to IPL, Picosecond or Q-swtiched lasers, long-pulsed alexandrite laser and light peels with Fraxel Dual and some other lasers.  Dermal pigment is best treated with picosecond or Q-Swtiched lasers suing red or green light.  Brown seborrheic keratoses with hyperkeratosis are best treated with light ablation preferable using a short microsecond pulse with an erbium and to a lesser extend with a CO2 laser.  See an expert who know the difference between these spots and also understands the technology  that can treat them with the greatest efficacy and least risk of adverse effects. 

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatments for dark spots on the arms and legs

Thank you for your question. You should schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area to examine these dark spots and determine what procedure will work best. If they are age spots and/or sun damage, IPL/BBL can work extremely well especially if you are fair skinned. Make sure you do your homework and choose a provider with a lot of IPL/BBL experience. In my opinion the best broad band light device on the market is the Sciton laser. It is by far one of the most safe and effective lasers I have used in my practice to lift age/sun sports. Look for someone in your area with a Sciton BBL.

​We Use the PicoSure FOCUS to Remove Hyperpigmentation

We use the PicoSure Laser with the FOCUS lens array everyday treating pigment, fine lines and wrinkles.  It is safe for all skin types.  We warn our patients that their skin may be come blotchy and pigment may appear darker for the next 3-5 days, although in rare cases it may last up to 2 weeks. 

The PicoFOCUS gently delivers bursts of energy deep in the dermis without causing harm to the overlaying skin.  The pulses work to break up pigment and stimulates new collagen and elastin production.  Your body’s own healing process sweeps away older, damaged tissue and ramps up skin turnover.  Some pigment will actually travel to the surface making it initially appear darker.  We normally recommend a series of 4 treatments; 1 every 4 weeks.  Do not be concerned if your pigment goes away and then comes back within days to weeks; pigment is usually multiple layers deep and clears layer by layer.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Dark Spots on Body/Arms/Legs--Clear + Brilliant/Viva, Microneedling/PRP, Skin lightening/Peels

This can be improved with a combination of peels, lasers, and skin care. I suggest a formal consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.