Choosing a Plastic Surgeon for Breast Augmentation: Ratings vs. Before and After Pictures

I'm deciding between 2 surgeons. One has great before and after photos but doesn't have stellar reviews 4.5/5, so not bad. Most complaints are about wait times and the doctor's attitude, but I care more about results anyways. The other doctor has amazing reviews (5/5) and everyone comments about how nice the doctor is, he was also recommended by a friend, but I've looked at his before and after gallery, and wasn't every impressed. Any advice? What's most important when choosing a surgeon?

Best plastic surgeon via breast results.

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, I believe results speak for themselves. Ultimately, what you want from the PS is the best result that you can get. Period.

Dr. Michael J. Brown (Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon)

How to choose a surgeon

depends on what you're willing to put up with.  All surgeons think they are the greatest.  Some surgeons feel they walk on water (really) and their patients must see them because of their skills.  Other surgeons are more appreciative of their patients  and realize that they wouldn't be there without their patients.  All surgeons should be concerned about their reputations and outcomes.  And all decent surgeons should have a revision policy that is fair for you if there is a less than satisfactory outcome.  Some surgeons only post their best outcomes while good ones post both good and not so good.  What are you willing to put up with?  I prefer a surgeon that will be accessible and compassionate who really cares about outcomes and patient satisfaction.

Curtis Wong, MD

Trust you gut

Congrats on your decision to undergo breast augmentation surgery. Choosing the right surgeon for you is super important. Pick someone who you trust and who you feel that you can rely on should there be an unexpected bump along the way.

Best of luck and good luck with your upcoming surgery.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Choosing a plastic surgeon

This is a tough issue. So as a surgeon I can tell you that the before and afters are not the full story. Everyone posts good results. To me if I were a patient it would also be very important to choose a surgeon who you feel is nice and that has a good bedside manner. Because the one who is not so nice is not going to be nice at all when you have a problem while the one with good bedside manner will be there for you if you have a problem. That is worth its weight in gold from my perspective. When I see a physician for my own care I look for reputation and bedside manner. Sorry but I don't want the jerk even if they are the best. There are always others who are just as good and have good bedside manner.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Picking the right surgeon

Picking the right surgeon is very important and has to do with your interaction with that surgeon.  You need to be happy with both the the surgeons personality and his skills.  Remember he will be your surgeon for the rest of your life so you have to be happy with both aspects.  Remember not all peoples personalities mesh so you may love your surgeons personality while someone else my not care for him/her.  Results are also personal preference as well.  

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Choosing a plastic surgeon - results rule

Ratings and reviews are important and so is the feeling you have from meeting the doctor. You need to trust them completely and under ideal circumstances, they will also have results that "wow" you.

But, if you only had 2 choices, I'd take the one with the better results over the friendlier one with so-so results. 

Choosing a surgeon

choosing a surgeon is not always easy as there can be several good options.  If it's between two Physician's then I suggest two consultations.  Go and meet with them.  Often times there are more before and after pictures available in office.  In the end you have to go with the surgeon you feel most comfortable with.

It is important to meet your surgeon and feel comfortable with him. If he is abrasive, long wait times, and unresponsive to your questions, then go somewhere else. Base it on your experience not reviews. One bad review by one unhappy patient can change ratings. Look at all reviews, not just ratings.

On the other hand, if the surgeon shows you before and after photos, and you don't like the way they look, you should not expect your results to be any better. 

You need to feel comfortable with your choice before surgery.
Good luck.

Surgery

Thank you for your question and I would choose a board certified plastic surgeon who does a lot of the procedures you are interested in and one who you feel most comfortable with after meeting

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Choosing a surgeon - what's important?

If the photos you are looking at are patients that look like you to start with and you like that after results that the surgeon was able to achieve, then I would suggest going with that surgeon.  Many doctors include all types of breasts and outcomes in their before and after gallery, but many of these may not even be relevant to your situation.  This is best explained in an in person consultation after an examination, so that appropriate expectations can be set and goals delineated.  One more caveat, however, is that breast augmentation usually goes smoothly, but if you are a patient who develops a complication or are not happy with your results, the surgeon's attitude and wait times at the office will become very important to you.