Can I get a breast reduction that still leaves my breasts larger than what most people would consider proportional? (Photo)

I am 31 and have extremely large breasts. I have nearly constant pain and discomfort, and a reduction may be necessary at this point. I was happy with my size two years ago and had found bras that made the weight manageable. Most women who want reductions seem to want to go down a lot, and many surgeons say they will go for what is "proportional." I would only like to go down to about a J cup, from my current size of about 28-30KK+ (hard to tell exactly since there aren't any bras in my size).

Conservative Breast Reduction

Your request is possible, and is in fact easier to honor relative to the opposite request, wanting very small breasts. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery.
Best of luck.

Can I get a breast reduction that still leaves my breasts larger than what most people would consider proportional?

Yes, what you are describing is certainly possible.  Ultimately, careful selection of plastic surgeon and very careful communication of goals will be key.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, it will be important for you to communicate her goals carefully as well. In my practice, I asked patients to use as many “visual aids”, such as goal photographs, during the communication process. Avoid the use of subjective terms; as you know, discussing cup sizes and/or terms such as “proportionate"… these terms can be confusing, since they may mean different things to different people.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

It is possible to undergo a small breast reduction to maintain a larger breast size after surgery. However, final cup sizes can very difficult to predict during breast reduction surgery. So, communication with your plastic surgeon will be extremely important to achieve your desired goal. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Thank you for your question.  Yes, you can have a breast reduction and still be on the larger side of proportional.  Be sure to communicate your goals to your surgeon and that you consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast reduction size

Hi. 
Breast reduction final size should be individual. Your surgeon should listen to your desires and should be able to accommodate your request. Exact cup size is difficult to predict but if you are after a smallish reduction then this is a reasonable request. Be sure to articulate your exact wishes to the plastic surgeon of your choice. All the very best with your journey. 

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon