Botox and Ultherapy for platysmal banding. Does Ultherapy move the Botox deeper into the muscle?

Had botox for platysmal bands on neck followed by ultherapy. I have a terrible time swallowing on the right side of my neck. How long will this last. Does ultherapy move the botox deeper into the muscle?

Botox and Ultherapy or Thermage

Botox should not be done right before (at the same time) as Thermage or Ultherapy. I suggest next time you have the skin tightening procedure first and then you can have Botox afterwards so that you are not having the Botox spread and giving you these side effects.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist in the future whose expertise is in cosmetic lasers and injections.  Best, Dr. Green 

Botox followed by Ultherapy treatment

Hi 765turtles,

I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with your Botox. When combining treatments with Botox injections is very important to do all manipulations or treatments that involve massaging first. After these are done then you can think about injecting Botox.

Any type of massaging or tissue manipulation after Botox injections carries the risk of moving or changing the penetration of Botox effects into deeper structures that were not intended to be treated. This might explain your problems with swallowing. The bad news is that you might be suffering form this for several weeks, the good news is that it will disappear after that period of time.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Ultherapy for platysmal banding

It is possible that the vasodilation and swelling caused by the Ultherapy allowed the Botox to penetrate to muscles deeper in your neck. The good news is that this effect will be totally temporary. The bad news is that it could last 3-4 weeks before resolving. I never recommend Botox and Ultherapy or laser at the same time as the effect of the laser or ultrasound energy can create issues with the Botox treatment. Best.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Ultherapy

Based on your description, you had Botox to neck platysmal bands followed by Ultherapy. If this was done immediately after the Botox, it would explain your symptoms as any manipulation of the area after Botox injection will result in movement of the neuromodulator and weakening of the surrounding muscles, including pharyngeal or swallowing muscles. No treatment should ever immediately follow Botox.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Ultherapy For Platysmal Banding

Ultherapy does not go deep enough to affect the muscle. It does not help platysmal banding, only loose skin. It should also not have an effect on the Botox. You should follow up with your physician regarding your symptoms.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Botox and Ultherapy

If you had the ultherapy done before the botox there should be no effect on the botox.  I do not see a reason the botox should be effected.  I suggest speaking to your physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.