Bloodwork concern?

Hello there, Is it normal for a doctor to not request Bloodwork from you before proceeding a breast augmentation? I called in today to make a deposit and the receptionist had said that since I am younger (23) I will not need one and that I will get a finger blood test instead. I'm a little concerned because all of my friends have Bloodwork done and they are roughly my age if not younger...

Bloodwork before surgery

I agree with the answers given so far, which are essentially that according to the guidelines, a young healthy patient with no abnormal personal or family history regarding bleeding, does not need pre-op labs.  However, we have tended to follow the norm in Las Vegas, which has been to draw labs, at least a hemoglobin,  on everyone who goes to surgery.  We recently switched to a finger blood test as well, which has been more cost-effective and convenientyfor our patients.

Blood work for surgery.

If a patient after an initial evaluation and examination have no past medical problems and no current concerns and they are under 40 years old they probable do not need any blood work. At your age a urine pregnancy test probable all you need unless the evaluation brought up any concerns.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Blood work before surgery

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

This is an excellent question -
  • A lot of unnecessary blood work is done.
  • If you are young, healthy and know you are not anemic, you probably don't need any blood work.
  • For healthy people over 45 or 50 - an EKG is probably the only necessary test.
  • But a lot of surgeons feel they have to do lab work - and lots of patients expect it.
  • As for your situation, both tests are checking for anemia - the finger stick blood test will do this as well as the blood draw test. 
  • So this is not a reason to doubt your surgeon..

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Bloodwork for augmentation

It is not abnormal to not have lab tests performed for an elective procedure, especially when the patient is young and healthy, like yourself. Your lab work will likely not reveal any health concerns. That being said, each surgeon is different, and each surgeon will have different protocols. Good luck!

Manish Champaneria, MD

Blood work

Hi, if you are healthy and don't smoke or take any medicatios than you shouldn't need any blood work.  Most centers do not require it.  If you would feel more comfortable ask your doctor to order it anyway. Good luck! 

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Bloodwork concern?

For many years medical studies have consistently shown that routine blood tests in healthy patients getting ready for surgery is of no help. If you have health issues, that's another story and blood testing may have some value.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Preoperative breast augmentation question

For a young healthy person, lab work is not usually ordered unless there is a specific known medical condition or if the family history would suggest otherwise.

There have been studies reviewing the necessity of lab work in healthy outpatients.  Unless there are known medical conditions or medications that could affect the blood chemistry, no lab work is needed.  The upper limit on age varies around the country, but at your age, there is no supporting evidence to warrant lab work if your exam and history are normal.

Steven J. Smith, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Blood work necessity prior to breast augmentation

Every practice will have a different policy but for my patients if you are under 40 and have no kidney or other medical illnesses blood work is not necessary. It's simple to obtain labs if you are nervous about it but it's likely an unnecessary expense if you are healthy. 

Bloodwork concern?

Thank you for the question. As you have noted, preoperative workup/bloodwork will vary from one practice to another. In our practice, for a healthy young lady (with normal history and physical examination), preoperative blood work prior to breast augmentation surgeon is not ordered. Best wishes.