I have a BA coming up in July 2016, and I suffer from panic attacks. What should I expect after surgery?

I am extremely nervous as the date is approaching quicker than expected. I have slight anxiety in general but have never been diagnosed with anxiety. Sometimes I do suffer from panic attacks that usually last about 20 minutes or less. What should I do or expect after I get my surgery?

Panic attacks and surgery

You should definitely inform your surgery team  and anesthesiologist about your condition.  However, you can rest assured that breast augmentation is a procedure that most plastic surgeons routinely perform and the surgery typically goes uneventfully, including the post-op course.  There may be a few things that the surgery team can do to help alleviate your anxiety if you inform them of this pre-op.  Good luck with your surgery!

What to expect after surgery.

Thank you for your question.  You most definitely need to inform your surgeon of your panic attacks and anxiety.  They may be able to prescribe you with something to help, but that would be something that needs to be discussed between the doctor and you.  

If you would like more detailed information on what to expect before and after surgery with your breast augmentation you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at ABetterBreast.com.

Being informed and prepared for surgery will help calm a lot of nerves and anxiety.

Best of luck.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Post-op recovery

Immediately after surgery you will be pretty groggy.  Over the next 30min your anesthesia will wear off and the recovery nursed will administer medications as necessary.  If you are prone to anxiety they will give you anxiety medication.  For patients such as yourself I would also review your anxiety medication that you take for panic attacks and make sure we have a plan in place.  The discomfort from breast surgery has be likened to soreness.  There are medications available to help numb the breast area for up to 72 hours.  During this period most of the swelling and soreness will have dissipated and you can expect a fairly boring recovery.  The most important key to getting through this is having a dedicated team and surgeon at your side to help you through the recovery.  I have treated many anxiety prone patients in the past and with a little preparation you should be fine.  

Anxiety and panic attacks can be managed both before and after surgery to make the recovery better for you.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed thousands of these procedures and has hundreds of pictures and reviews.

Beverly Hills, CA

Anxiety with pending surgery

Hi and I'm very sorry to hear of your panic attacks. See your family physician to discuss this issue and get it under control before surgery do you are more relaxed before surgery. Also let your plastic surgeon know about this too. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Ing up in July 2016, and I suffer from panic attacks. What should I expect after surgery?

Thank you for the question. It is not unusual for someone to have some anxiety prior to procedure. The best advice I can give you is to have communication with your board credited plastic surgeon and his or her team. It is always best to ask as many questions as possible. Breast augmentation is performed routinely and usually outcomes are great. You have to develop trust in your team. Good luck.

Post-operative expectations after surgery

Any surgery can be nerve-racking for patients. It is important to have good and frequent communication with your plastic surgeon, his staff, and nurses so you feel that you have a good support team in place before and after your surgery. You should also discuss your history of panic attacks with both your plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist who may be able to give you some medication if necessary to minimize the risk while you are healing. A routine post-operative period for a breast augmentation would include some discomfort in the area of surgery and waking up with a dressing around your breasts. Discomfort can be managed with pain medications prescribed to you by your surgeon. You will be limited in what upper body activities you can perform and you will have routine follow-ups with your plastic surgeon. Make sure you talk to your plastic surgeon before the day of surgery for detailed post-operative instructions and to have him or her team answer all your questions. This will help reduce your anxiety and make sure you have the best outcome! Good Luck!

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician