Where can I get affordable safe surgery outside the USA? I want breast implants.

I would like to get breast augmentation. I've decided to get saline due to health reasons in case of a leak etc. I am a natural c. I was told the more meat you have the less chance of ripple effect. I am naturally bottom heavy but I would like lipo to contour my waist/back to bring out curves more also in arm area. I also would like rhinoplasty done to make my nose more narrow. I've been looking at Colombia. I would like to stay under 8,000 dollars if possible.

My recommendation is that you focus on one surgical procedure and find a board-certified reputable and safe surgeon in your area who can provide the procedure for you within your budget.  Either rhinoplasty or breast augmentation should be within your $8000 budget.  The benefit of enhanced safety and your well-being makes this a wise bit of advice.  I am sure your children would tell you the same! Best wishes and good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Medical tourism...

I would encourage you to make your decisions carefully; medical tourism although certainly cheaper, may not be the safest way to proceed. Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality/safety record. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably communicate with some previous patients as well. Make sure you also consider factors such as follow-up and treatment of complications that may occur, even in the best of hands. Best wishes.

Wanting to go abroad for cosmetic procedures

is not the best idea as complications can arise and the costs for managing that will easily exceed what it would have been if you just had your surgery in the US.  Granted, there are many that do go abroad and achieve decent results so you have to decide what country you think has the better, more conscientious surgeons, or the language which you can speak and comprehend.  But you could easily get saline implants and liposuction for less then $8000... and if you're really savvy, find a surgeon that isn't terribly busy (but still very good) and negotiate your fee.  The worst thing that could happen is that he/she says no.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Cost of breast implants?

Cost factors vary significantly for a number of good reasons: Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them. See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure. General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA. 2. Type of Anesthesia - local, IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?            3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery           4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?

Breast augmentation surgery

Why do you want to travel outside of the USA for surgery? I strongly urge against it. There are plenty of qualified board-certified surgeons in the United States who can perform breast augmentation for under $8,000. However, if you are talking about getting a breast augmentation, liposuction and a rhinoplasty for all under $8,000, you SHOULD NOT DO THAT. Any surgeon who offers to do that much surgery for that amount of money should not be trusted. I strongly recommend you reconsider this idea. Additionally, you do not want to be stuck in another country recovering from surgery, away from friends or family who can help take care of you. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Bad Idea and Uninformed About Implants

There is a surge in multiple antibiotic resistant mycobacterium infections in DR and other Central and South American Countries in facilities that cater to medical tourism. They are rapid in onset and cause severe tissue injury. You'd be a fool to leave the country. As for implants, silicone gel implants are as safe as saline implants, even after a potential rupture. There is a well documented inverse relationship between price and complications in plastic surgery, in or out of the country. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Medical Tourism

Hi mommygem89,

Don't do it! Although there are certainly talented and well trained plastic surgeons in Central and South America, it can sometimes become difficult to know who they are. However, the main reason to avoid going abroad for surgery has to do with complications.  If you have a problem, who is going to fix it? I have treated a handful of patients who have had plastic surgery overseas. They have no recourse to the surgeon who did the operation, and now they incur the costs of future surgery back in the US.

Speaking as a board-certified plastic surgeon with over 25 years of experience, I would never recommend this option for my family members, or any of my friends, so I cannot recommend it for you either.

Best Wishes and Good Luck.

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Safe surgery, ? Columbia.

There are qualified plastic surgeons in Columbia, just as there are here. Conversely there are also places that discount surgery and you can run into problems. You have no recourse if you have complications and surgeons in the U.S. are not anxious to take on problems from someone else, esp. from out of the country. If you have a problem you are likely to have to spend a lot more to get it corrected, You also might want to consider not dongi all procedures at once esp since the rhinoplasty is not a "sterile" procedure. Best recourse, stay in the U.S.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Where can I get affordable safe surgery outside the USA?

I'm not sure why you would want or need to go out of the country. Our office fees with a board certified anesthesiologist and top-of-the-line silicone implants is in your ballpark (saline is even less expensive) and I'm sure hundreds of other offices around the country are the same. And it would be far safer. Third world countries can have excellent medical care but it is not regulated as in the USA so you never can be sure what you are getting.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Having surgery at a reduced rate in a foreign country sounds appealing, but there are many concerns that you should consider. Generally, there is no preoperative direct discussion with the surgeon who is going to perform the surgery in order to establish any reasonable doctor/patient relationship. There are often language barriers that can interfere with your care. Even if your surgeon speaks English, the ancillary personnel like the nurses and the anesthesia provider who are involved in your care, may not. The quality of hospitals outside of the U.S. varies tremendously. Some are accredited and inspected, others are not. Even if the hospital has reasonable facilities and the surgeon has training, which may not be up to the quality of training of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the quality of the nurses and others involved in your care may be very different from that in the United States. They may have little or no formal medical education, training or credentialing.The surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) and the surgical facility accredited by AAAASF-I.

There is usually little follow-up care. In addition, the general sanitary conditions often increase the risk of infections, including some that are generally rare in this country.
There are  also major potential problems that may occur with traveling long distances just before and after surgery, like dehydration and fatigue, but more importantly complications including clots in the legs called deep venous thrombosis and clots to the lung which may be life threatening.

In most countries, if a problem develops, you will have little legal recourse and no ability to file a complaint either against the hospital or about the surgeon. If complications.,develop after you return home, it may be difficult or impossible to obtain care from your local physicians. If problems do occur, the cost of subsequent care can be far greater than the reduced cost of the original surgery. While there are well-trained physicians in many other countries, I would suggest that you travel for pleasure or business and have your surgery closer to home.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon