Is 296cc too small?

I'm 5-4 medium frame 132 lbs. I did the rice test and even though I know it's not completely accurate, I tried 350cc measurements and it seemed way too big and then I tried around 285-90. I was comfortable with the 2nd option but it seems small. I am currently a B cup and want to be a full C at the MOST

Is 296cc too small

I think, from what you are describing, that the size chosen would give you a nice, natural result. What cup size you end up having will vary from manufacturer to another

Is 296cc too small

Factors which contribute to the outcome of Breast Augmentation are #size, #shape, and #profile.
The #profile is determined by the amount of #projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the #size of the implant and size of your chest. Also, the placement or incision location will also have an effect on profile.
This may also provide some insight. If a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc. The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the you desire, as well as the size of the implant and size of your chest. As much as it's important to know what size bra you currently wear, the strap size is important to know as well. It affects the diameter of the cup and subsequently the diameter of the #breast implant that you choose. In my practice, about 15-20% of the patients are good candidates for silicone #shapedimplants.
#Subpectoral or #submuscular implants refer to placement under the muscle which still remains the most common placement in the United States. #Submammary or #subglandular implants are the placement under the breast tissue in front of the muscle. This tends to more common in Europe and South America. General guidelines suggest that women with larger drooping (ptosis) breasts that do not want a breast lift often have the implant placed above the muscle, although another option, #DualPlane, has become more popular. In the Dual Plane method, the implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle but the breast tissue is also release, in part, from the muscle. Those patients with minimal breast tissue should usually have the implant placed beneath the pectoralis muscle for more soft tissue padding.
Your Plastic Surgeon will measure you to determine the best shape, size and placement of the #implants to be used. Lastly, another important element to a satisfying result of your #augmentation is realistic #expectations.

Implant Sizing

In some women, 285 is too big. Sizing with rice give a better idea of how you'll look then 'shooting for a cup size', something that no surgeon can guarantee. I've had 185 cc implants change a women almost two cup sizes, and 400 cc implants not change the cup size at all.  So stick with your sizing technique. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons and get sized again. 
Best.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Is 296cc too small?

Thank you for your question. Implant sizing can be complicated and depends on your goals and expectations and also on your anatomy and measurements. What can be right for one person may not be right for another. Your best bet is to have a consultation in-person with a local board certified (ABPS) plastic surgeon. During this visit, you can get more information on sizing, try on implants, and choose what is right for you. 

Just a quick word of advice, for most patients, I tell them that in a very rough estimation, 150-200 cc in implant is about one cup size. So if you are indeed a B cup and want to be a full C "at the most," then I would suggest to you that you should start by looking at implants in the 200 cc range. That being said, I think that if you are concerned about being too big, then a 350 cc implant would be too large for you, and even a 296 cc may be too large. Best to have this discussion with your plastic surgeon and try on all these sizes, so you can make the decision that is right for you!

Good luck!

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Is 296cc too small?

Determining the correct implant size can only be done after an exam. Quit worrying about the implant size, that should not be your concern. If you can't show wish photos of your desired look to the surgeon and have the surgeon know what size implants are necessary, you are seeing the wrong doctor.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Choice of implant

Your best way to select your implant size is to schedule a consultation with one or more board-certified plastic surgeons who will take your history, determine what you are trying to achieve, examine you carefully and then make recommendations for implant. Our office utilizes Vectra for 3D simulation and TouchMD to allow patients to gain as much information as possible during the consultation. 

I wish you well

Dr. Edwards

Is 296cc breast implant too small?

I do not consider a 296 cc breast implant small rather I think of it as being close to 300 cc.  A 296 cc breast implant should increase you by full cup size  or more in the same style and manufacture of bra that you currently wear.  Your choice of implant size will depend on the base width of your breast  which her surgeon will measure during your consultation.

Breast implant sizing concerns...

Thank you for the question. Although useful as rough guidelines and as communication tools, all the modalities currently used to predict what breast implant size/profile will best achieve a patient's goals with breast augmentation are NOT very accurate, in my opinion. The use of the rice test, sizers placed beneath a patient's bra, goal pictures, computer imaging technology… are all useful, but not necessarily as accurate as one would hope.
In my opinion, nothing will replace careful verbal preoperative communication with your plastic surgeon, preferably in front of a full-length mirror along with the use of as many "communication" tools” listed above.
In my practice, I use all of the above modalities and then use intraoperative temporary sizers to help determine the best breast implant size/profile to achieve a patient's specific goals as closely as possible. For this reason, I think it is helpful to have the entire range of breast implant sizes/profiles available in the upper room.
Achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding to the operating room is also an important part of the preoperative communication process. Patients should be aware that the results of their breast augmentation will not necessarily match exactly what they are visualizing with anyone of the above-mentioned communication tools.

Given your questions and concerns, I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon. This additional time spent will be helpful in the communication process and in alleviating some of your anxiety.
Best wishes; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the planned procedure.