I'm 11 weeks after surgery and my first ever breast augmentation (Photo)

ever since week 2 i notice my left breast different position than my right i was told do to the swelling. Now that im 11 weeks i noticed something different with my breast especially when im leaning foward is this something thats gonna correct itself or im i looking at more surger. This is my first ever breast augmentation. Thanks

Breast asymmetries after Breast Augmentation, what to do?

Hi Christy6,

Thanks for your question and photos. Asymmetries are a part of EVERY surgery regardless of who does the surgery. The outcome is pretty close but not identical. As all the other surgeons have stated, It seems that the left has some minor pectoralis major muscle issues with the pocket that was made. Without an exam and a good photo from a higher view point it is hard to tell if the pocket is too big or too tight. The breast always look different if leaning forward or backwards or upside down. usually women find this out AFTER the surgery as most do not look at themselves this way BEFORE the surgery. A small minor revision can be done in the future but not earlier than 6 months to either release or tighten the capsule or implant scar tissue. Be patient, It may correct itself over time. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#asymmetries   #BreastAugmentation        

Post Op Question

Good Question! It looks as though your left peck muscle is pulling harder than your right peck muscle. Most of the time this will get better while you keep healing. Sometimes patients have to go back to surgery to release that muscle a little. This is called over animation of your implant. You will notice that your breast implants move some when your muscle pulls, this is normal, but for one to pull harder than the other is a different. Give it time and talk to your doctor about this if it does not get better. Good Luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

11 weeks post-op

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. From the pictures provided, it seems as though your pockets are asymmetrically shaped. With time, appearance will be improved slightly. However, you are still too early in your recovery, so give it some more time. If you are unhappy with your results after about six months, please follow up with your surgeon. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Asymmetric Breasts

It appears your pockets are asymmetrically shaped, especially in the lower central portion. This is the number one reason for unexpected asymmetry in breasts that aren't affected by capsular contracture. With time this may improve slightly, but there will always be some remnant of this problem. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I'm 11 weeks after surgery and my first ever breast augmentation

Your still early in recovery.  I expected by 6-8 months the asymmetry that she see will be resolved.  I agree with another observer that on the left humerus simply seeing the limits of the pectoralis muscle on the left side which should stretch out with time.

At 3 months post-op your breasts are still changing

There are some details that you have left out that would be helpful in giving you a better answer.  There are no preoperative images to show how the breasts looked before surgery, and the angle on most of these images is hard to interpret, thus, it's hard to really tell accurately about position of the breasts and implants.  You have also left out the type of implants you have, and that could play some role in the deformity you are seeing when you bend forward.  Saline behaves differently than silicone gel, and shaped implants will behave differently than round ones.  Two things that do come to my mind at this point are that if you have a shaped implant, you could be looking at a rotation, however, one would expect that to be seen in the upright position too.  The other thing that comes to mind is that there is a bit of difference in the limits of the pocket dissection between the two sides.  You may have had different muscle anatomy between the two sides, or the muscle and inframammary fold tissues may have been released differently between the two sides.  It is still early at this stage, and even in situations in which a pocket border is still tight, we can see changes as tissues relax spontaneously over the next couple of months or so.  Additionally, sometimes implants just behave differently in one position than they do in others, and there may not be anything we can do about that.  Just knowing about it makes it less of a problem sometimes.  In general, I think you look very good for this stage of postoperative recovery, but you should pay a visit to your surgeon so that he or she can examine you in person and give you better perspective on what is likely going on with that breast.  There is definitely a difference; you are not crazy!  You just have to figure out what is causing it, and the best one to tell you that is your surgeon.  Best of luck.

Left breast implant different after 11 week

Thanks for including these photos. It looks like your pocket on the left side may of been dissected a bit more centrally. My advice is to give it a few more months and see if this resolves.  At that time I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Sometimes small pocket revision is needed after breast augmentation. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

You should continue to improve

based on your pictures, i think you look very even. they will never be exactly the same, especially when you lean forward  or lie in a different position. Very rarely do women have identical breasts.

your BA looks very even and it should continue to improve - but don't be too self critical.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Symmetry after breast augmentation

Breasts are sisters not twins. I completely understand why patients would expect perfect symmetry with a "man made" breast after breast augmentation. The fact is, the surgeon is only partially in control. The body is like a catcher's mitt for the implant, The body has fixed differences between the left and right sides. These differences are usually not noticed before surgery, but are often essentially amplified after surgery. For example, asymmetries of the rib cage and pectorals muscle, which most people either cannot see, or do not associate with their breasts before surgery, will have a big impact on the final positioning of the implant during the healing process. It is worth asking your surgeon what their policy about revisions is before your surgery. Scar tissue around the implant after surgery can be used in revision surgery to reposition implants that are very noticeably asymmetric. Small asymmetries should be accepted as part of the nature of breasts and not regarded as a bad result. I hope this helps!!

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Will continue to improve

You are most likely seeing the limits of the release of your pectorals muscles.  This small imperfection will continue to improve.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS