Will 10 days off of work (including weekends) be enough to recover before going back to work? Does smaller implant mean faster?

I'm a preschool teacher but I have a co teacher as well. I plan on getting a breast augmentation in December when most of my families are away on vacation so I won't have that many children in my class. Is 10 days enough for me to recover and go back? Does smaller implant mean faster recovery? I won't be picking the kids up but I do reach up in cabinets and sit down/stand up often due to putting away toys, etc

Getting back on your feet after a breast augmentation

Thank you for your question! With regards to recovery, please know that it is a crucial part of getting the best results, and it should not be rushed nor underestimated. In fact, as a patient, you must diligently follow your surgeon’s instructions and take good care of yourself to ensure your body has sufficient time to heal and look its best. With regards to your question about the recovery time, please know that every person recovers at their own pace, but normally patients are able to get back to a “desk job” within 2-7 days following surgery. After 2-3 weeks, you should be able to begin your light exercise routine, such as brisk walking, cycling, aerobics and lower-body weight training. You should lift anything more than 10 pounds for at least 2 weeks. Increasing the activity level is dependent on your own perception of how well you feel. Any minute you feel an activity is causing pressure or causing you to feel stretch in your breasts or incisions, then stop the activity, even if it be reaching for a toy.  Point to note is that you want to avoid using your chest muscles. So when you are lifting yourself from the chair, use the force from your legs more than your arms and chest. Any exercises that require pectoralis major contraction or physical pressure in the upper-body as experienced during push-up demonstrations, running, high impact aerobics, and weight lifting should be avoided until after 6 weeks following your surgery. This is especially true if your implants will be placed behind the pec major muscle. You will feel better with each passing day. By the time you are one week post-op, you should feel much better. You will still be sore, but you will be feeling more like yourself. As you have a co-teacher, you should be okay to return after 10 days (a total of 14 days with weekends). As always, please discuss recommendations for recovery with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Their advice should take precedence as they will be better informed about your case. Hope this helps!

Resuming to Active Occupations Following Breast Augmentation

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employeed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your #BreastSurgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.
As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for six weeks following your #BreastSurgery. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.
If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Thank you for your question! The "rapid recovery" breast augmentation is a newer philosophy with many surgeons to expedite activity and expedite recovery following the breast augmentation procedure. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. It is the similar techniques as described and is really gaining popularity. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. Pain is minimal and you will likely be on a scheduled antiinflammatory regimen/pain control along with early exercises/range of motion techniques immediately. However, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week. I typically restrict heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for approximately 4-6 weeks Swelling and settling of the implant typically occurs over a 6-12 week period along with placement in a compression-type bra for the same time period, while your incisions commonly resolve to its final appearance in up to a year.  The implant size and position of implant (above vs below muscle) will impact your r overt time. But, I would hope that your time is reasonable, given all goes well. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a great result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon.  Your surgeon is your best resource as He/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.  

For my patients, most return to work within 7-14 days.  However, I do recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Is 10 days recovery time enough

Although there are typically lifting and activity restrictions for 6 weeks after surgery patients are allowed back to work 7-10 days after surgery. Your plans sound typical for a recommended plan for after breast augmentation. Schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to review your options.

Dr. Edwards

Recovery after breast augmentation

10 days should be enough time to recover after breast augmentation with implants. Recovery is faster if the implants are smaller and the implants are placed above the muscle. Although, in my cases, I recommend that the implants be placed below the muscle.

- Dr Bryson Richards

This really depends upon the technique your surgeon utilizes. In general, most surgeons advise patients to avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for 6 weeks post op. However, normal, everyday activities are fine. Smaller implants do not mean a faster recovery. At my practice, we offer a 24 hour recovery, meaning patients are able to return to normal tasks (and even work) by 24 hours (barring heavy lifting and exercise). Best to ask your operating surgeon what he or she recommends, however, since every surgeon's postop protocol is slightly different. Good luck! 

Return to activity after BA Surgery

Thank you for your question and you should be fine with a good 10 days rest. Remember, it is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Work After Breast Surgery

I tell my patients that they can return to work usually in a week but avoid lifting anything heavy for two weeks. As long as you aren't lifting anything heavy, you should be fine. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD