Is this normal look? 3 months post-op breast implants. (photos)

I have 2 different size and shape breast. Both 320cc.one side is rippling and feel weird but softer, left side big and very stiff and hard. I had my surgery almost 3 months ago. My surgeon is saying i had uneven breast befor and he thinks is wrong to put bigger implant one side to make even:( also i had threw areola and he put safety sutures at the bottom. R side i have fold and L side no

Do my breasts look normal?

I would agree with the other comments in that you do have significant asymmetry at this point.  Unfortunately, without seeing the degree of asymmetry you had before surgery, it is really hard to tell how much this is a reflection of a pre-existing condition or the surgery itself. 

That being said, I would have to politely disagree with your physician in not choosing asymmetric size of implants.  Almost all of the patients that I see have some degree of asymmetry and so I very commonly use different sizes.  However, achieving 100% symmetry is virtually impossible even in the best surgeon's hands.  

At this point, I would let everything settle out for another 3 months and then look at revision.  If you are feeling firmness on one side, you also may be developing capsular contracture (which can often be treated medically at this early stage).

I hope this helps!

-Gregory A. Buford MD FACS

Board Certified Plastic Surgery

Author:  "Eat Drink Heal:  The Art and Science of Surgical Nutrition"

When breasts start with marked asymmetries

that make one consider using different sized implants, its really challenging, if not impossible to get a near perfect result.  If you do have progressive hardening of one breast, you are developing a capsular contracture.  Keep your surgeon informed of your concerns and if you do not have a contracture, you can choose what side you like better and then your surgeon can provide you options on what may help you achieve better symmetry.  It appears your nipples were at different levels and that will have to be addressed with another procedure as well.  I ask my patients to focus on the upper poles and if level, then fix the nipples.  If not, then the implants need to be adjusted up or down and adjusting up is much harder to do.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Asymmetry

You clearly have some asymmetry post surgery. Whether some of this can be attributed to your pre surgical appearance would require pre surgical photos, at least. Your complaint of one being hard might indicate capsular contracture, the most common complication of breast augmentation. Unfortunately, you had a peri-areolar incision, which puts you at highest risk of capsular contracture. Additionally, 'safety sutures at the bottom' are unorthodox in primary breast augmentation. If your surgeon is not an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon, you may want a second opinion for a few who are. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant concern

Hello, if you had asymmetry before your operation, you might notice some residual difference after your surgery.  Without a preop photo it's difficult to comment.

3 months after breast augmentation with uneveness

Without seeing your photos before your surgery, it is impossible to agree or disagree with what your surgeon said.  The right side does look a little tighter in one of the photographs so you may have some degree of a capsular contracture, but that can't be confirmed via photographs only.  Your last photo shows some redness near the incision.  Right after surgery this can be normal, but 3 months out warrants a close look by your surgeon.

Eric Mariotti, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I highly recommend that you see your surgeon and address your concerns. You may be having the start of capsular contracture and this should be identified by your surgeon and treated. Best of luck. 

Normal 3 Months Post Op

Thanks for your question! Based on ur photos, you do appear to have some early asymmetry; however, I would wait a good 6-12 months before considering a revision; things may really settle out. Keep close follow up with your plastic surgeon, & ask if he/she recommends implant massage: that has always served me well in my career.  Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal look? 3 months post-op breast implants.

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.  Based on the description of "big and very stiff", I would be concerned that you are experiencing an encapsulation (capsular contracture) on the side.   This problem, involving thickening of the scar tissue around the breast implant, can lead to firmness, breast implant displacement, and/or pain.

Best to follow up with your plastic surgeon and/or seek second opinion consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons for  accurate diagnosis and advice.  Best wishes.