I'm a 41 yr old diabetic that is very interested in a mommy make over. I'm just worried about my health issue.

I worry about the recovery time and healing process and my trip back home as it is a 12- 15 hour flight. I've had 3 c-sections. I'll be doing this alone so I'm concerned about everything. Also any suggestion on some great surgeons that are affordable. I've been looking in the Dominican Republic. Any suggestions or advice, I'd really appreciate it. Also any suggestions on surgeons that are great and affordable.

Is the Mommy Makeover procedure safe if I am diabetic?

Thanks for your question!

I would strongly discourage you from seeking Plastic Surgery outside of the country given your history of diabetes.  While I am sure there are good physicians abroad, the fact that you are a higher risk patient to begin with (because of your diabetes) makes it even more important that you keep the surgery and all factors associated with your surgery as simple as possible.

Spend the extra money and get your surgery done right the first time.  It costs far more in terms of money and time to come back for a revision and get it done a second time around.  Keep it simple!!!

I hope that helps and wish you the very best!

I'm a 41 yr old diabetic that is very interested in a mommy make over. I'm just worried about my health issue

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your desire to pursue surgery.  Because of your diabetic history and its possibility of contributing to surgical complications, I would advise you to stay domestic and local for your procedure and seek a board certified plastic surgeon to assist you.  The costs of a complication far outweighs the savings from medical tourism.  I am attaching a link below that will help you in your search. 

Medical tourism

Hello and thank you for your question. This is a question that comes up often and the answers are going to be somewhat repetitive. However again I would caution you against medical tourism.Other than cost there are certain risks that you have to account for whenever having cosmetic surgery. Given that you are a diabetic patient you are at increased risks for some complications. A surgeon who is 2000+ miles away was not going to be able to help you manage these issues. Having surgery in a country where the electricity only runs for part of the day is highly risky for your safety and well-being. 

A simple Google search will reveal multiple complications and deaths associated with cosmetic surgery done in the Dominican Republic. 

All surgery contains certain risks. Even when done in a state-of-the-art modern facility in this country you still encounter risks. Why would you want to increase those risks?

Even though surgery in this country is going to be more expensive, you will at least have the peace of mind knowing that your doctor is a phone call away and able to help you should the need arise.  There are also multiple financing options to help make this more affordable for you.
Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Diabetic Mommy Makeover

Hello and thank you for your question and interest in pursuing a "mommy makeover!" This procedure can be something different for each patient and it can take several hours in the operating room under general anesthesia. Therefore, the patient needs to be very healthy to undergo this procedure. If you are a diabetic, you will need medical clearance by your medical doctor and you may have other issues during the healing process that a non diabetic will not have. So it is in your best interest to consult with a surgeon who is not only board certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgery but also will be easy to follow up with should you have issues or concerns arise during the post operative period. Best of luck to you and continue to do your research on the mommy makeover! 

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Surgery and Diabetes

Most Diabetics can have plastic surgery safely. To minimize risks, you, your diabetic doctor along with your plastic surgeon need to make sure that your diabetes is under good control before and after the procedure. Although some complications may be increased, such as infection, the odds are generally in your favor that you will do OK

Diabetes OK. Dominican no way.

By the time you add travel costs, rarely does it save money to get surgery outside the US.  If there's a complication, it will be extremely expensive to treat if you can find a doctor willing to take you.  Being a surgeon in a border state, I have personal experience with this.  Surgery can be done safely on a well controlled diabetic with a reasonable bmi.

Mommy make-over - in diabetic traveling 12 hours to DR for surgery

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• My strongest advice is have your mommy make-over locally.
  • There are many excellent plastic surgeons in Las Vegas.
  • Diabetics are more prone to complications -
  • You need your surgeon near you.
  • You need your endocrinologist or family physician to clear you for surgery
  • Your diabetes must be under excellent control.
  • You are very unlikely to find a great, cheap surgeon.
  • There are all sorts of publicized issues with DR cosmetic surgery but it is cheap.
  • If you decide to go, at least arrange with a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your post-operative care if you run into problems - expect to pay a substantial fee if you need it.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS