When I have my implant revision to fix the deflation on the left, so I need a lift? (photos)

13 year old saline implants, left deflated a week ago. I am a 33 year old with three year old twins, whom I nursed for 6 months. I was happy with the position of my breast before the deflation. And looking through pictures I am not sure if I like that look, as I like the teardrop shape but the fullness with some youthful perk. Will the recovery vary pending on revision vs revision plus a lift.

When I have my implant revision to fix the deflation on the left, so I need a lift?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your narrative I would advise only exchanging both implants for silicone of similar size to your saline.  Your nipple position is appropriate and little benefit from a lift will be obtained to offset the incisions.  Hope this helps.

Breast Deflation - Keep It Simple

For a patient who was happy with the shape of her breast before a breast implant deflation, the simplest and most predictable path back to happiness is replacing the breast implant. Breast lifts are performed went the breast is droopy, or the nipple is pointing down. With out these issues, you should be good to go with a breast implant replacement and a quick recovery. Best of luck.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Replacement of breast implants after deflation plus or not a lift?

It appears to me that you have little to benefit from undergoing a breast lift when your implants are changed.  You might be considering and think of exchange to silicone implants since the incidence of early deflation in my experience is much much lower.  Discuss options with your plastic surgeon and best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Lift

If you were happy with your implants prior to deflation, you should be happy just having the implant exchanged. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

If you are happy with the nondeflated side, then no lift is necessary, as that is the look you will have when the deflated implant is replaced. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Given that you were happy with your breasts before the deflation, it will likely may be in your best interests to undergo removal/replacement surgery only.   Breast lifting does not seem to be indicated.  It will be good for you to consider pros/cons associated with all options available, but generally I suggest avoiding the scars associated with breast lifting unless the operation is really necessary.  You will also need to consider the pros/cons associated with the use of silicone gel breast implants as well.

This type of revisionary breast surgery tends to be associated with much less recovery compared to first-time breast augmentation surgery.  Additional healing time and incision line care will be necessary if you undergo breast lifting at the same time.  Best wishes.  

Breast revision for deflated saline

Your choice really depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want to be larger, smaller, the same? We cannot tell how much laxity there is of your breast tissue off the implant or not. Removal and replacement with new implants is the simplest option for you. Bottom line is you need to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and review your options.Dr. Edwards

Revision

An office consultation with a nearby plastic surgeon that specializes in breast revision necessary. A lift depends on amount of skin laxity 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

#BreastImplantRevision - do I need a lift?

Not necessarily, at least based on the photos you've provided.  The simplest approach is to replace only the deflated implant although most people would probably replace both (and that's what I'd recommend).  This could be a time to consider switching to silicone gel if you wanted to, and if they were not an option at the time you had the original implants done (which sounds about right).  You could replace with the same or larger implants without most likely needing a lift; if you wanted to go much smaller that might be a different case.  You should of course be examined in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon for a full and appropriate assessment, and don't hesitate to seek additional opinions.  It seems like you'll have several options; exactly which will be depend on what you want to accomplish and what you're willing to do.  I hope that this helps and good luck, Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Implant Replacement and Lift

Thanks for your question! Based upon your photos, you definitely have a left implant deflation. You certainly don't have to have a lift, but I think that you would look aesthetically better if you did. Of the over 300 breast implant surgeries that I do each year, over 1/3 now are exchanges, and probably half of my patients do need some sort of lift, so you are certainly not alone! You could probably just do a periareolar ("donut") mastopexy, and the scar is very nicely hidden between the darker areolar skin and the lighter breast skin. We are not too far from you in LBK either. Best of luck to you!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon