I had labiaplasty and I am on my period now. What do I do in regards to recovery and stitches?

This Monday I had a breast augmentation and labiaplasty. I have stitches on both incisions now the problem is that I just got my period. What should I do in regards to keeping the stitches clean? Am I okay if I bleed and have stitches or do I need a tampon. I'm not sure what to do in this situation.. :( please help! Thank you !

Period and labiaplasty

This happens all the time!No worries at all, do not use a tampon for obvious reasons :)Keep the area clean with a water squirt bottle and use a pad.
Best

Menstruation Post-Op

Well, I am sorry to hear that this has happened and that no instructions were provided before surgery if this was being done at this point in your cycle. Depending on the specific type of procedure that was done, hopefully your surgeon or someone in his office will have some specific instructions to provide in order to not place too much pressure on the area, and keep it clean as well. Warm soapy soaking would be okay to help clean the area. Be sure to clean all activities with your surgeon. Best of luck to you!

Your surgeon really should have advised you

This is a pretty common thing that should have been discussed by your surgeon and his or her nurse. I advocate a spray bottle and washcloth to pat dry. Bacitracin for the suture line. That should keep everything clean. Showering is OK 48 hours after breast augmentation and labiaplasty in my book, so that should be helpful as well. Make sure to clear everything with your surgeon and get some answers.

Post-op care

I would contact your surgeon's office for their specific advice. I would not place a tampon without your surgeon's specific instruction to do so. I keep my labiaplasty patients from the use of a tampon for at least a month.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Recovery and Period

Thank you for your question about recovery from Labiaplasty.

In general, this area of the female body is a self-cleaning oven.  While on your period, wear pads, not tampons.

For specific questions like this and about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

POST LABIAPLASTY MENSTRUAL PERIOD

There will be no issue with bleeding around your labiaplasty incisions.  I assume your surgeon instructed you to avoid tampons for a certain period of time.  I have my patients wait two to three weeks after surgery to use tampons.  Labiaplasty incisions heal rapidly and in most cases I find that two weeks is plenty of time for "rest" as long as all the tenderness is gone.  However, as in any surgical procedure, it is best to consult with your surgeon in case there were any special considerations.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Labiaplasty cleaning while on menstrual cycle

Hi!  This is a common question and thank you for bringing this up.  Generally after labiaplasty you want loose fitting clothing and no friction to be placed on the incisions. Keeping them clean and dry is important. During your cycle you can cleanse with soap, water, pat this dry and cover with a pad.  I do not recommend a tampon use for a few weeks simply because it is better to avoid too much manipulaton of the labia and the potential for pressure on them during insertion. Of course this depends upon which labia were operated upon.   I hope this helps

Scott GulinsonMD
Obgyn and Cosmetic Vulvovaginal surgeon
Glendale, AZ

I had labiaplasty and I am on my period now. What do I do in regards to recovery and stitches

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery.  Though you should reach out to your surgeon to discuss this i ask my patients to only use pads for the first 6 weeks after surgery at which point they can resume using tampons.  Tampon use this close to surgery may cause a disruption in your incisions.  Cleaning of the blood from your incisions can be done gently with a squeeze bottle with an angled tip.  Hope this helps.