What is this hard swelling BEHIND my scar from mini abdominoplasty? Will a steroid injection help with the hard swelling?(photo)

I had liposuction behind my C-section scar as well as a "mini" abdominoplasty almost 4 weeks ago now. My original scar from my C-section was a keloid scar. There is a very hard swelling behind the scar itself that protrudes out and can be seen under workout pants. I'm not sure if it's from the liposuction? It's very unattractive and I just want it to go away. Before I left town the nurse assured me it would go away. How much will the steroid injection reduce it if at all and what is it?

Normal healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be patient with your recovery, this is all normal following and mini tummy tuck and liposuction. Good luck.

Dean Vistnes, MD.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself # minitummytuck #liposuction

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

What is this hard swelling behind my scar from mini-abdominoplasty?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I see your area of concern but it is difficult to make an appropriate diagnosis without an in-person evaluation of your scar and abdominal tissues.  This may be the result of residual swelling from surgery, scar tissue, a discrete fluid collection, muscle laxity, residual skin, or a suture related issue.  Voice your concern to your surgeon to have an appropriate treatment plan in place to discuss how to maximize your results. 

Mini tummy tuck problems

Dear Paigey,   

Thanks for submitting your pictures and sorry for your problems. From observing your pictures you appear to have abdominal  skin and muscle laxity from the chest bone to the pubic bone. The bulge above the pubic bone  is, most likely,  loose muscle fascia that was not tucked to the pubic bone.    

If you were my patient, I would have recommended to you full tummy tuck which would have avoided all the problems that you have now. You can still do it , but you should wait 3-6 months, in order to allow  the lipo scarring to mature and loosen up.     

As you realized, not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence and choose your surgeon wisely.     

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do their surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with flat stomach. low scat and nice belly button. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                              

Dr Widder