Can eye bags from fat transfer be corrected? (Photo)

I am 34 years old and I have had fat injections under my eyes about a week ago. I'm really not happy with the results of the procedure and I want to know if it can be corrected by any chance? My doctor mentioned that she put 3ccfat under my righteye and 2ccfat on my lefteye!! I am afraid that this is not only swelling but also there is too much fat under my eyes now. My doctor injected a shot under my eyes on 5th day and she said it will heal the swelling but I don't see a big difference.

Fat Transfer Results, Are They Permanent? Under The Eyes

I suggest waiting 6-12 weeks and if not happy after injections consider 5FU/steroid treatment. Please consult with an experienced dermatologist for optimal results.  Immediate treatment with venus legacy may help decrease swelling.  Best, Dr. Emer

Fat transfer

very very early to determine your final results.  As has been mentioned before, you have to give it between 6-8 weeks and up to 3 months to determine where you are headed.  That area of the face retains much more fluid than others because of a ligament that slings from the nose to the cheeks called the nasomallar ligament (its part of the reason why boxers have black eyes that sit there for so long!).  It separates the compartments in question and, when retaining water, can function as an unsightly hammock.  Things that can help you get rid of that watery swelling under your eyes right now are head elevation, avoiding heat and salty foods, as well as you can start thinking about possibly a lymphatic massage or venus legacy treatment for swelling.  If there are still issues after a few weeks and you are not liking how it looks, you can have a discussion with your surgeon about possible 5FU/steroid injections.  But thats a bridge to cross if you have to.  Bear with it.  Its still early on in the process.  Good luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye bags / fat transfer

Let time pass so you can have a better perception of fat that has survived. You also have a lot of swelling to make any correction procedure.  My best wishes.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Facial fat transfer

It's way too early to even contemplate judging your final results.

I would simply recommend not looking in the mirror for six weeks.

There's no way you're going to know what your final results will look like at this point.

With these types of procedures I would encourage my patients absolutely not judge the results for a minimum of six weeks.

I would tell patients to expect to look swollen at first.

It's difficult to correct facial fat transfer but again it's too soon to know if you're going to need any type a revision.

That area can be temperamental with fat transfer and I generally prefer using fillers.

Be patient, give it time and follow up with your plastic dr.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Problem after fat injection under eyes

Best to wait about 3 months after surgery before re-evaluating. There are options depending how it turns out. It may require surgical removal (using inside eyelid approach) or nonsurgical methods. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post fat to lower lids

You are very swollen which can occur with lower lid fat transfer.  2-3 cc is a normal amount of fat to transfer.  At this point you need to let the swelling go down.  Some oral steroids or ibuprofen can help with this so ask your surgeon. This swelling can take a while to resolve, so you will have to be patient.  If after a few months you think there is too much fat it can be surgically removed.     

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon