Please advice, I am planning to have a new implant after 5 yrs. Any suggestions ?

I need your advice if I am doing the right thing after 5 yrs of breast implant removed , I tried fat transfer to my breast but after 2 months it went back to normal , I went to see a Plastic Surgeon a week ago and suggested that I should have textured silicone breast implant due to my problem with my recent implants.

New Implant After Five Years?

There is not enough information provided for anyone to give you any suggestions. It sounds as if you had a significant problem with you old implants if they needed to be removed. You apparently also did not have success with fat transfer, although it is difficult to achieve a significant breast augmentation in one fat transfer session. It may be that a textured silicone gel implant might be a good option for you but there is no way to tell without knowing more about your history or seeing you in person.

My best advice would be to find a surgeon that has a lot of experience with revisionary breast surgery. Ask lots of questions. Make sure you are comfortable with the choices.

Re-augmentation after implant removal

I am assuming that you had capsular contracture but if not, you can provide more details for a better answer, for example if there was an infection, if you had a capsulectomy with removal and if they were submuscular or subglandular.
In addition to certain details in the surgery itself and the handling of the implants, we do know that textured implants have a lower risk of capsular contracture. We also know that submuscular placement has a lower risk. For complex cases with recurrent cc, the use of an acellular dermal matrix such as Strattice appears to greatly reduce the risk of cc. Unfortunately the cost is prohibitively high for many patients and other options are more often explored. Nonetheless more information will be necessary, so when you go in for your consultations try to provide as much detail as possible so you can get the best advice.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Please advice, I am planning to have a new breast implant after 5 yrs. Any suggestions ?

If your breast implant problem was capsular contracture the proper treatment would be to remove any left over capsule and if possible place new implants under muscle.

The most important thing if you had a capsule would be to wrap the new implants in acellular dermal matrix such as Strattice or belladerma. Usung these memberanes is the mnost important thing to prevent recurrance of the capsule. If you use the acellular dermal matrix it makes no difference whether you use smooth or textured implants.

Breast Implant Revision

Hope all is going well GeeGee1, thank you for the question, this is a complicated topic that will definitely need a personal consultation. My best recommendation is to seek at least 3 board certified plastic surgeons in person since you mentioned that you've experienced problems with your recent implants. Hope all turns out well.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

We don't have nearly enough information to give you any advice. You need to see 2-3 consultants experienced in this and get their advice.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Advice on reimplantation

Dear GeeGee1
This is a complicated topic that will definitely need personal consultation. The choice of texture vs smooth implants are in part due to surgeon's training and preference. From what you describe so far I do not think there is a definitive reason why you need texture implants. See another opinion if you are unsure of the recommendation. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer

Fat transfer or fat grafting is still debated for primary breast augmentation. If you had implants and they were removed the skin may need to be modified and you may need a mastopexy to help with shape. Implants help with volume. Best of luck, MMT