Is it ok to have surgery twice in one week? Eyelid surgery and tear repair.

Can i get lower eyelid surgery a week after having a SLAP 2 tear repair (torn labrum in shoulder)? I figured since i have down time, i could stack surgeries. Is it common to have one procedure and then another, or is that no bueno?

Two procedures in one week

Thank you for your question. This is actually quite common to try and fit 2 procedures in the same recovery time. There is very little down time for the lower eyelids in terms of discomfort, it is more the bruising and the swelling. Most of the time lower eyelid procedures are performed under local, so there is no reason you cannot have your shoulder operated on under general. The timing of which to do first is really up to your surgeons. If you were my patient, I would suggest the shoulder first since it is the largest recovery and while you are healing and taking pain medication already, your eyelids could safely be performed. This is really a question for your surgeons and their comfort level doing both of these, but in my opinion, I think it is a great way to get two things done with one recovery. Good luck.

Yes

You will be fine assuming that you have no medical problems.  This is very common practice and it makes sense to do it the way you have planned it.  Good luck.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Is it ok to have 2 surgical procedures at same time

Thank you for sharing your question. It is not uncommon and is often a good idea to have different surgical procedures performed around the same time. This limits overall downtime. Speak with both surgeons regarding this issue.  Good luck,

Is it okay to have surgery twice in one week? Eyelid surgery in shoulder repair

In our practice, we perform lower eyelid surgery under general anesthesia. It's probably best not to have two general anesthetics in one week, therefore you might want to separate them out several weeks apart. The shoulder surgery will be more painful with rehabilitation than the lower eyelid surgery.

Two procedures in one week

Thank you for your question. If you are healthy and recovering well from your shoulder surgery, it should not be a problem to have your lower eyelids done at this time. Mostly because lower eyelids are performed under a local anesthesia and recovery is pretty straight forward. You should contact a board certified oculoplastic surgeon. Best, Dr. Heffernan

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

I do not recommend this.

Focus on healing from the shoulder surgery.  Once you have healed in the future, have eyelid surgery.  It is hard enough to recover from a single surgery.  Why burden yourself with the need to recover from multiple elective surgeries at the same time?  I strongly advise you not to do this.

2 surgeries

You should be ok with that but talk to your surgeon/anesthesia provider.  If you are healthy should not be an issue.  We do the lower lid with local sedation so not as much anesthesia needed for that case which is also not very long. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon