Silver gel compound and post BA use?

I underwent a mastopexy + BA 9 days ago. I work for an interventional pain specialist who performs in-office procedures like Spinal Cord Stimulators or SCS. After the trial and removal of the SCS, we use Chloraprep swabs to clean area, apply a Silver compound (gel) on wound, place Desitin over, cover wound w/ gauze for rapid healing. Would I be able to use the same method on my stitches safely without prolonged use, 1-2 weeks? I just started the regimen yesterday and planned on using once a day.

Silver gel compound post breast augmentation.

There is no specific scientific evidence for or against what you propose for your incisions  I would recommend bringing it up with your plastic surgeon and following their advice.  What your pain specialist chooses to use on their incisions does not mean it is what your plastic surgeon would recommend.  Silver based compounds have been used for wound care as an effort to minimize bacterial counts or treat burn wounds.  Neither should be required in an elective mastopexy augmentation.

Best Dr. L

Post op wound care

I recommend discussing this with your Plastic Surgeon.   This does not sound like something I would recommend to my patients.  Please follow up with your surgeon before applying any creams not prescribed by him/her.   Best of luck to you. 

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Hocus Pocus

Hi Cyn

It is best not to treat yourself and not follow your doctor's advice.  Under normal healing situations for BA + Lift, you should not need anything on the suture line at 9 days.  You don't mention what the silver compound is and Chloraprep is toxic to tissues.  Any of these things may also set you up for a yeast infection and an allergic reaction.

I strongly urge you to contact your plastic surgeon and follow his advice.

Good luck.

Sek

Breast Augmentation - Scar Care

Thank you for your question. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps.

Silver gel compound and post BA use?

Once you have chosen a surgeon and entrusted the doctor with your care, you will need to follow that doctor's postop regimen. If you don't and you have postop complications they may be your fault. But if would be interesting to cover only half of your wound with that prep and see what happens. I seriously doubt you would wee the tiniest bit of difference in how the wounds heal.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Post op wound care after BA

You are best to discuss this with your surgeon and follow their direction.  After all, you trusted them to be your surgeon.  Each surgeon has a preferred manner in which they like to care for the surgical sites.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Silver gel compound and post BA use?

Thank you for your question.  I would prefer to have patients follow my wound care than another's wound care regimen.  If you were to develop an infection while following your interventional physician's wound care regimen would they take responsibility for this?  Make life easier for everyone and follow your surgeons wound care advice.  

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation Mastopexy Incision Care

Unless you have a wound, all you need is tape to cover your incisions, not a gel. If you do have a wound, then you should visit your plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS