Is flying after breast augmentation safe?

Hello doctors. I mentioned before that I'm having lipo and breast augmentation out of state in September (flying from NM to Miami)! My question is this, is it safe to fly a couple of days after my surgery?

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast augmentation and liposuction - can I fly back in a few days

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and liposuction.
  • You need to ask your Miami surgeon when you can fly back to New Mexico.
  • I would probably want you to stay for five days -
  • If your implants are under your muscle, you will be in too much pain to fly for at least 3 days.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Is it safe to travel by air after surgery?

Many of our patients come from long distances to undergo various cosmetic surgical procedures including breast augmentation. If travel is required within a few days after surgery is important to first make sure that your surgeon feels that it is safe for you to travel. It would be important if you are flying to have someone who could help you with your luggage because the use of your arms will be limited for a few weeks after the procedure. All of our patients are graded for their risk of developing blood clots after surgery. One of the risk factors for a blood clot after surgery is confined travel within a week of the procedure. This includes the week before surgery and the week after surgery. If you need to travel by air it will be important to make sure that you maintain good hydration, wear support stockings and get up and walk up and down the aisle each hour. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Flying Post Op

This could be possible as long as you are otherwise medically stable and cleared by your Plastic Surgeon. I recommend that you discuss this with them for planning.
All the best

Flying after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I would check with your PS before flying back.  Depending on how you are healing, which will most likely be fine, can determine your post op stay.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Flying after breast augmentation surgery

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I recommend usually waiting several days before flying although I had one patient who returned home to Utah from Philadelphia with her husband the day after I performed a breast lift with augmentation. Hope this info helps. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Travel after Surgery

The best person to ask is your surgeon. In my practice I recommend that patient's stay at least 24 hours close by to address any unforeseen problems that need to be taken care of emergently. Opinions vary on flying after surgery and it depends on what type of surgery that is done and how far you are flying. With longer flights there is a higher risk of blood clots developing in the veins and more swelling that occur with the cabin pressure of the plane. Therefore, to be safe I do not recommend that patients fly after breast implants for one week and especially if you are having liposuction. Hope this helps and wish you the best with your procedures.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Flying after surgery

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon varies on their post operative care.  I typically ask that patients wait 5-7 days after surgery before flying.  You can have increased pain with the cabin pressure changes and must has assistance with any luggage.  Occasionally my patients who must fly soon after surgery also have to have wheelchair transport in the airport to and from the plane.  Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Flying after breast augmentation

Your question on flying after breast surgery is common and it's good to follow your individual surgeons advice. The reason it is an issue is several fold. First is after any surgery there is an increased risk of getting a blood clot in your leg if you sit for a long time especially with legs crossed. A 45 minute flight would have much less risk then a flight across country. The other issue is when we perform the surgery we are making a space under the breast and or muscle to accept the breast implant. That space also has a little air around the implant that the body absorbs over a couple days. If someone flew right after that surgery (or climbed to the top of Everest for that matter) the air would expand and might get into a blood vessel causing a small air embolus. This is a similar problem scuba divers face if the rise to the surface too quickly from a deep dive. The gases in the blood stream can expand. We absorb this air pretty fast, but no one knows exactly how fast so most surgeons suggest a 3 day stay before setting off for a flight. Hopefully that helps clear up the logic, take care and remember to listen to your individual surgeons suggestions.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon