If I get a TT, and I have scars in my upper stomach from other surgeries, can my muscles get repaired, and get tight? (Photo)

TT and previous abdominal hernia

Hi, there
Your muscle should be able to be tightened.
However, you are at a higher risk for wound healing given your previous surgeries.
Please consult an experience board-certified plastic surgeon.
Best regards.

Muscle repair

Yes, you should be able to have your muscle repaired, but whoever does your tummy tuck is going to have to take a modified approach due to your previous scars. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to be assessed in person. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Tummy tuck post abdominal incisions

Yes you can have your muscles tightened but since you have other incisions one has to be careful of doing a tummy tuck to preserve blood flow to your abdominal flaps.Also I pray yopu are not a smoker.It would be important to go to a well qualified board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

If I get a TT, and I have scars in my upper stomach from other surgeries, can my muscles get repaired, and get tight?

Because of your surgical scars you will certainly need to have a modified approach to your tummy tuck due to the possible compromise of the abdominal skin.  Your abdominal muscles will probably be fine.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and to discuss your options.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Can my muscles be repaired in light of my previous abdominal surgeries?

You would certainly require a very modified approach to receiving a muscle repair (rectus plication). Due to the previous vertical incision above the belly button and the "roof top" type horizontal upper abdominal incision the blood flow to your abdominal skin has been altered.The approach to a full muscle repair would have to be via another vertical midline incision. Also the degree of skin undermining and tightening would be altered and more limited than with a traditional tummy tuck. I would suggest you be evaluated by a board certified Plastic Surgeon who has an extensive General Surgery background as well. Best of luck!

Tummy tuck

A midline and appendix scar should allow for a tummy tuck.

If your muscles aren't too lax, since you don't have a lot of skin, liposuction with Vaser or Smart Lipo would remove fat and tighten the skin. This might be an easier and safer option.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Scars

The answer is yes, but you would need to be seen and evaluated in order to best determine your options and limitations.                                                                                                        

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Maybe but you need expert in person examinations to determine the risks involved................................

Vertical scar & TT

Thank you for your post. Yes, I would imagine that your surgeon could use the midline vertical scar you already have to your advantage. The muscles could be tightened, and more skin could be removed in both the vertical and horizontal planes. We usually refer to this as a "fleur-de-lis" abdominoplasty. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon