Am I okay for surgery?

A little short of 4 weeks ago I went from e cigarettes with nicotine in them to e cigarettes with no nicotine in them. Then 2 weeks ago I quit the no nicotine e cigarette. I have my breast augmentation in 3 days, so there shouldn't be a problem right?

Smoking cessation/electronic cigarettes

Current studies generally recommend smoking cessation at least 4 weeks pre- and post-operatively to decrease risk of complications.  Interestingly I recently read an FDA report that found low levels of nicotine in all but one brand of nicotine-free electronic cigarette cartridges.  You may still be at slightly elevated risk of wound healing complications and infection given the timeline.  I recommend discussing this with your surgeon pre-operatively.  S/he will be able to give you further recommendations based on your overall medical health.

Best, Stephanie Power MD, MSc, FRCSC

Am I okay for surgery?

Hi. IMHO you should be fine to undergo your surgery. It's always best to quit the nicotine products all together at least two to three weeks prior to your surgery. Good luck, Dr PG

Ok for surgery?

Thank you for your question.  It is best to check with your doctor to find out if there are any concerns with this before surgery, they will be the ones to determine whether or not you need to wait for surgery.  Generally speaking you need to be off of nicotine for 4 weeks before a major surgery.  Again, please check with your doctor as soon as possible.

If you would like more informaiton regarding breast augmentation, you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at ABetterBreast.com.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Smoking

Generally given on the patiens medical history and type of surgery we tell the patient to stop smoking two weeks before and after surgery. You should always go over questions like this with your specific surgeon as we all have our own preferences. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Smoking and Breast Augmentation Surgery

Greetings. It would be important to follow the instructions of your surgeon on this issue. I recommend people stop cigarette use 1 month before surgery and then remain off for at least 1 month or longer after surgery.  Ideally, I tell patients they should just quit cigarette use altogether. Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Smoking Cessation

Thank you for your question.  Ideally we want our patients to stop smoking as soon as possible.  However, we recommend strongly quitting smoking at least two weeks prior to surgery and continuing to not smoke for a minimum of one month after surgery.

Best regards,

Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Smoking and surgery

I recommend my patients to quit smoking at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and not smoking after. Some patients use their surgery as a platform to quit smoking for good. It is best to discuss this with you operating surgeon.

Am I okay for surgery

Hard to answer! You did not post WHAT surgery is planned. smoking and or nicotine effect lasts for months. So best to discuss with your chosen surgeon in person... 

Surgery and Smoking

Address this concern with your surgeon while discussing your medical history.  In general, it is best to avoid smoking for 2 to 4 weeks prior to surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

E-cigarettes

The longer you go without nicotine, the better.  There is no specific answer for what is long enough and what isn't.  It is best to get the advice of your surgeon to determine if he/she feels comfortable proceeding with surgery based on the information you've provided.  Chances are that it will be fine, but it is always safest to check.

Camille Cash, MD