Question about eyelid surgery and festoons

I am looking to get upper and lower lids done. I also have festoons. I have read that some patients are getting their festoons treated with laser resurfacing. Is it necessary to get all three procedures done? ( upper and lower eyelids and festoons) or can I just get upper and lower done then festoons treated with laser resurfacing?

Upper and lower blepharoplasty and festoons

If your festoons are relatively small, then it makes sense to have the upper and lower lid blepharoplasty and laser resurfacing. If the festoons are large or prominent, it may be wise to have them addressed through the lower lid blepharoplasty incision. This raises the question - are you having a transconjunctival or transcutaneous lower lid blepharoplasty? Festoons are better approached through a transcutaneous blepharoplasty incision so that the skin and orbicularis can be re-draped (agree with Dr. Kass). Best wishes with your decisions!

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment of festoons of the lower lids.

In my practice I would recommend upper and lower blepharoplasties combined with fractionated CO2 laser treatment of the festoon area.  This can be done under one anesthetic but I would also recommend that a second laser treatment may need to be planned depending upon the severity of your problem 6 to 12 months later.
Meet with several board-certified surgeons to discuss options.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Festoons treatment are not easy. I have found doing combination of Thermi Tight RF under local , than ThermiSmooth RF 250 externally fr6 sessions offers best results in my opinion... Fee $2,000.

Eyelid Surgery and Festoons

Festoons, also called malar bags, are due to swelling and hypertrophy of the orbicularis muscle, below the lower eyelid in the area of the upper cheek.  Correcting this problem is separate and distinct from standard surgery of the lower eyelid.  While resurfacing alone plays a role and are advocated by some, in my extensive experience orbicularis muscle tightening is necessary to achieve excellent long term results.  This can be combined with resurfacing (which in my hands is better accomplished with deep chemical peeling than with a laser) and eyelid surgery for best results.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon