Can I get a breast reduction while I'm still lactating?

I had muy child 3 years ago and never breastfed her. But I'm still lactating! I heard about breast reduction surgerys and i really want to get one. I'm 5 foot, 143lbs and have 38 DDDs. I'm having extreme back pain tingly numbness in my neck and head aches. It is uncomfortable to exercise and even lean or lay down. I really think a breast reduction will help my quality of life but I'm afraid that i wouldn't be able to get one done since I'm still lactating for some reason.

Lactancy and breast procedures

Hello, thanks for share with us your concern, the answer is no, its not recommended to make breast procedures during lactancy, in you case, i reconmend you to go with and endocrinologyst to see why are you still lacting. have a nice day!

Lactating after breast reduction

Hi. I would definitely recommend getting in to see your primary care provider about you still lactating.  It is not normal for you to still be lactating this far out from your pregnancy.  Good luck and take care.  Dr. Howell

Breast reduction and lactation

Hello and thank you for the question. 
It is not normal to still be lactating this late after pregnancy. Some patients do have this issue and it may be a result of an endocrine imbalance. You should NOT have surgery while you are still lactating. I would recommend you see your primary care doctor or endocrine specialist to diagnose the cause and initiate treatment. Once your breasts have stopped lactating, you can consider having breast reduction surgery. 

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction while lactating

I would recommend seeing your ob/gyn or primary care about the lactation.  Lactation 3 years after birth and never breast feeding is not the usual course.  You may have hormones that are in excess causing the breast tissue to produce milk.  Outside of the lactation your BMI and breast size appears to be in a reasonable range for a breast reduction but an in person exam with a board certified plastic surgeon would be able to give you the best evaluation.

Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Reduction during lactation

Lactation three years after childbirth is not within the norm. See your gynecologist or an endocrinologist about this.  Otherwise, you are a good candidate for the procedure.

Its a very successful surgery..

Breast reduction is a very successful surgery with a high patient satisfaction rate.  If you are three years post delivery of your last child and you never breast fed then you are not lactating and should be fine to under go breast surgery.  Please see a plastic surgeon to review your options. 

Andre Aboolian, MD